338?

A stock Remington 375 H&H length is all that is neede to allow a 3.6" to 3.7" loade length. Or one can instal a Wyatts and load to a longer over all length or you could go with the Seekins DBM system which is my pick

338 Edge or 338 Lapua

The other thing that the Edge has for it is that is uses the standard Magnum boltface. If you have any Rem action with a Magnum boltface you can fire an edge through it with just a barrel change i even fired them in a Model7 Magnum single loading the action s just long enough to eject a fired case. the lapua requires a boltface to be opened up and a Sako type extractor fitted so it needs more work to make it work, Honestly go with a 338 Edge have a Wyatts mag box fitted and if you have a pinned recoil lug you can switch barrel the rifle from a 7mm Mag to the edge.

Cheers Bill
Australia

338 Edge or 338 Lapua

The other thing that the Edge has for it is that is uses the standard Magnum boltface. If you have any Rem action with a Magnum boltface you can fire an edge through it with just a barrel change i even fired them in a Model7 Magnum single loading the action s just long enough to eject a fired case. the lapua requires a boltface to be opened up and a Sako type extractor fitted so it needs more work to make it work, Honestly go with a 338 Edge have a Wyatts mag box fitted and if you have a pinned recoil lug you can switch barrel the rifle from a 7mm Mag to the edge.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Now thats an idea,anyone have a link to a site that sells the mag box?Thanx gun)

300magaction.jpg

How far does the action have to be opened up?Does the feed ramp have top be reground to work after?Never had a 700 with a screw holding the magwell on before,is that standard issue now?gun)

I don't think you can go wrong with the EDGE. I had one. and sold it, and have regreted it since. Great caliber, easy to load for, and was accurate .
I think it is an easy way to start shooting 300gr SMK. Get a set of dies from Shawn, a Wyatt magbox so you can go with a coal of 3.80, and slap a 28-30" barrel on it, and have fun. That said, I think the Lapua is a great round also. Another option that I have not seen mentioned is a new caliber the military is testing, with great success, and that is the 338 Norma. The cartridge was designed by Jimmy Sloan, and is set up to shoot the 300gr SMK with the BT at the shoulder/ neck junction with the COAL of 3.60. The case is 2.50 long.Ballistically identical to the 338 Lapua, 300gr SMK @ 2800fps, but in a 26" barrel, and with a COAL of 3.60, it fits in a standard magbox. It can be built on a standard Remington action , .700 bolt. Same base diameter as the 338 Lapua, dies are availible from Forrester, and Redding. PT& G has the reamers.

The Seekins deatachable box magazine is tough to beat and it will allow you to load out to 3.92" COAL

338LapuaBrassSolid005.jpg

Last edited:
I don't now how expensive that you think they sound??

But they are the way to go IMHO, especialy for the 338 Lapua

338LapuaBrassSolid005.jpg
Just wondering what projectiles you have in those rouinds?

Also the Seekingmag systems are awsome i have one and we are the Agent here in Australia but if you are looking to save some coin and happy using an internal mah box you just need a Wyatts Box.

The 338 Edge is also a better option than a 338 Norma because the Norma uses the same oversize rim as the Lapua and it is borderline for a Rem Action. the 338 Lapua actions made by Remington are completly diferent in regards to hardness i have trued most models of Rem actions and the new Lapua was twice as hard to re cut the threads over other Rem CM actions. You can not use a Stainless Rem action their is not enough safety margin for error. The 338 Norma will also be very expensive for brass so remembver that.

My personal opinion is that the 338 Edge would be the best military cartridge as it is a safer fit in most commercial bolt actions where the Lapua and Norma cases are just to big in diameter to make them safly used in all commercial magnum actions. The other option is the standard 338 Rem UltraMag it is almost as good as the 338 lapua and 338 Norma and has a shorter OAL to match the 375 H$H so it can go in all mag actions with care.

Just go down the 338 Edge on a switch barrel with your 7mm Mag or on a seperate action.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Bill,
338 Norma brass is only $1.50/ each. Price wise it falls between $1.00/ea for 300 RUM brass for the Edge and $ 2.00+/ea for 338 Lapua brass. As far as not being safely build on the standard Remington action, tell that to the guys shooting them that have put thousands of rounds thru it with no problems. The design pressure of the 338 Norma is 63,500, well within the tolerances of a Remington action.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.