338 Yogi

wildcat

I am having a new 1 mile gun built and it will be chambered in 338 Yogi. The Yogi is an Improved 338 lupa Magnum. I was wondering, does any body shoot a 338 Yogi and could you give me some information and feed back. The rifle will consist of the following,
1.10" BAT
2. 36" Lilja, 1.750 at the muzzel w/brake
3. McMillan 50 HBR
4. Jewell 2OZ Trigger

Thanks, Wildcat!

Wildcat,

Brian B and Goodgrouper shoot the 338 Improved(MOAGs) alot. This is the rifle they have both qualified for the 2000 yard club with. Drop them a line and they will offer you anything you need I am sure, great guys.

Sounds like you are building your rifle exactly like my 338 Allen Mag will be built almost to the letter except I am going to try a 40" barrel just to see how it works out for experimentation sake, can always cut her back if needed.

Good luck!

Kirby Allen(50)

Wildcat, I have a 338 Yogi, and love it. Smithed by Tooley, 30 inch Lilja barrel, tooley brake, Hall E action, Mcmillan Tooley MBR stock,NXS 5.5x22 scope. I shoot 300gr SMK bullets,95.5gr H1000,at 2900fps at 60 temp.I use Exbal on a Dell pocket PC,and am just about set up with my clicks. I shot two days ago and went as far as 1645 meters. After having to add 3 more clicks for windage- hits on a basketball size rock were steady. Dave.

Email Tom Sarver and Steve Shelp at Benchrestcentral.com also. They have benn shooting the Yogi longer than about anyone especially Steve. He and Dave Tooley are good friends and go to all the matches together.

Steve knows all the tricks for that cartridge and Tooley is the man to build that one. Would not even consider anyone else.

BH

Dave, Dave Tooley is Building my 338 Yogi too!!! He built my 6.5x284 290nk, and I love his work. Dave's workmanship is fantastic and a work of art. I had him build my 6.5 in 2002, and I couldn't wait for him to build me another rifle. I was finally able to have him begin my new project, and I wanted him to build me the 338 Yogi. It will be on a 10" BAT/36" Lilja 1.750 at muzzel with Tooley Brake/McMillan 50 HBR with lead added to the rear/Jewell trigger/Custom Base with 40 MOA added/Rings with 25 MOA added and I will top it with a Nightforce 12x42-56mm NXS. The rifle will weigh around 65lbs, and I can't wait to shoot this setup. It sounds like your on the way to getting out to 1 mile and shooting great groups. I am in the process of looking for a rest for holding this monster, have any suggestions? How much does your rifle weigh? Does the brake absorb alot of the recoil? My 6.5 has a Tooley Brake and it barley has any recoil. I can watch the varmints blow up in the scope. Have you had your velocities higher or does it seem to shoot better at lower velocities. My goal is to push the 300MK at 3000 fps. It should be easy to obtain this velocity with the 338 Yogi with a 36" barrel, but would you recommend the velocities be more around the 2900 to 2950 mark. I had my 6.5 velocities up to around 3150fps with really good groups, but when I dropped the velocity down to around 2900 to 2950 my groups were much better, with best group measuring in at .093 at 100yards. I am thinking the same type of velocities will work the same in the 338 Yogi. Have you tried any of the Wildcat bullets in your rifle? I have read about people using them on this board and it sounds like they are more consistant than the Matchkings. Thanks for the reloading information, I will let you know how it works in my rifle. I want receive it until March of 06, so I have some waiting to do. However, anything Dave builds is worth waiting for. Thanks, Wildcat.

Wildcat, My rifle weighs 17LBs. scoped. I hunt with it, and want it to be legal for Idaho which has a 16 LB. weight limit. I think I can do a little milling on my stock and lose a pound. As far as bullets 300 SMK,s are all I have shot.As far as powder H1000 works great. Tooley said use H1000 or Rel.25. I did try some WC872 and it was dead accurate at about 2600 fps, but when velocity was increased it would not group.With your long barrel 3000 fps with 300 grainers should be no problem. 2900 is max for my rifle, but it shoots one ragged hole at 100 yards. I have a 30 moa base, and with the 5.5x22 I have about 1750 meters worth of elevation clicks. Dave.

Dave, thanks for the info, it will come in handy when I receive my rifle. I have a Nightforce 5.5x22-56mm NXS and was thinking about putting it on my Yogi. However, I want the magnafication for the super long shots on small varmints, so I went with 12X42-56mm NXS. I have the 12x42 NXS on my 6.5 and love the magnafication and results I get with it. I have 20 MOA added to my base on my 6.5, so I believe I have enough elevation to shoot out to around 1500yrds. I have decided to put the 5.5x22-56mm NXS on my 220 swift I am currenly having built. Do you think it would be a better choice to go with the 5.5x22-56mm NXS on my Yogi or stick with 12x42-56mm NXS. As I mentioned before, I will have 40 MOA in the base and 25 MOA in the rings, this gives me around 110 total MOA. I believe this will give me enough elevation adjusment for shooting to around 2200 to 2300 yrds. Goodgrouper, informed me that it would be enough to get me past the 2000 yrd mark. Anyways, what is your opinion on the matter. Thanks, Wildcat.

Wildcat, I think as long as you have enough elevation adjustment in your bigger nightforce, It will work great. There is a lot of times I wish I had more than 22x.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.