.338??? yay or nay

Gator26

well i decided instead of takeing a chance with my current rifle i will just start from scratch this way i get the rifle i want from top to bottom i have decided on the .338 im not sure what one tho i am leaning to the .338 RUM ... i want something that i can build on and be sure to take elk at 600 yd and farther , is this the round im looking for? or are there some others that should be considerd? thanks for your time and input.gun)

It depends on what you want to spend. After a long deciding period I opted for the .338 Lapua Mag. I have hunted with it a bunch this year and I can tell you, I would do the same build again.

Jeff

Well Gator,

A standard .338WM will do an Elk at 600yds. The .338 RUM much further.

I shoot a .338WM at the moment and am having built a .338 Edge for early next year. The .338WM is my walk about rifle for nornal type hunting and the .338 Edge will be used only for sit and ambush situations, where long shots are on offer at extreem ranges accross canyons etc.

I think if you want a light walk about rifle, stick with the .338 WM. However if you want an ambush type rifle then go for the big guns. Which one of the big cartridges depends on your budget and need for speed.

This long range shooting adds a whole new dimention to hunting.

Well Gator,

A standard .338WM will do an Elk at 600yds. The .338 RUM much further.

I shoot a .338WM at the moment and am having built a .338 Edge for early next year. The .338WM is my walk about rifle for nornal type hunting and the .338 Edge will be used only for sit and ambush situations, where long shots are on offer at extreem ranges accross canyons etc.

I think if you want a light walk about rifle, stick with the .338 WM. However if you want an ambush type rifle then go for the big guns. Which one of the big cartridges depends on your budget and need for speed.

This long range shooting adds a whole new dimention to hunting.

Good logic.

The 338 Win Mag does great in a lighter rifle with a muzzel break out to about
700 or 800yrds.

The 338 RUM will extend the range to 1100 yrds using 1500 ft/lbs as the limiting
energy @ the point of impact.

The 338 Lapua is a blistic twin to the 338 RUM, But components are more expensive
and the Lapua requires the larger bolt face like the 338/378 and not recomended
for the remingtion size bolt.

The 338/378 will add 100yrds to 200 yrds to the RUM and the Lapuas range but brass
is expensive and a larger action is also required.

The price of the 338 win mag and the 338 RUM is about the same in a custom rifle,
the Lapua and the Weatherby will cost more to biuld and feed.

I hope this helps in making your decision.

J E CUSTOM

Exactly what JE Custom says on all counts except for one.

I am shooting a 338 X 378 Imp in a Savage target action. Savage has a modified baffle that allows me to extract the case from the action very nicely.

I have nothing but awesome words for the standard 338. The number one caliber for everything here in Kodiak, Alaska.

Neal

what about savages .338 i have heard they are a nice gun to build on what kind of range and performance can i get out of it if i could put say .......2000 into it??

I know where you can get a Savage Magazine action with everything for $380. McGowen barrel for $269. Finished laminate A5 stock in 30 days for under $700. Then again for $265. you can get a Brux stainless cutrifle barrel, any taper and have your gunsmith crown,chamber and thread it.

Personally I would and have gone the way of the thread starter and buy a Stevens 200, sell the barrel for $75. and your off. I have done this several times. Trigger from Sharp SHooters Supply is great.
Only mechanical difference between the Savage and Stevens is the Accutrigger. All well under $2000. And they shoot like you want them to shoot.

Neal

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.