338 XC, Snipetac, or EnABELR

I haven't had issues with mine off to the side but that's with RUM based cartridges. I've seen guys put it on a taller tripod above the barrel and shoot through the legs

this set up works really well . the blast from a side port brake doesn't bother the labradar . @FEENIX , figured it out . I copied his idea . run the labradar at 18" offset . if the rifle doesn't have a brake position the Labradar over the muzzle .

View attachment 454753

When using this style of setup, if the brake has top ports will it still cause issues?

If shooting off a bench, could you run the radar under the barrel? May not have a tripod tall enough for over the barrel on a bench.

When using this style of setup, if the brake has top ports will it still cause issues?

If shooting off a bench, could you run the radar under the barrel? May not have a tripod tall enough for over the barrel on a bench.
top ports shouldn't bother it , since it's positioned over the OBJ bell on the scope . shooting from a bench would be tricky with this saw horse set up , it's a little wide . you could try setting up under the barrel , I never have .

top ports shouldn't bother it , since it's positioned over the OBJ bell on the scope . shooting from a bench would be tricky with this saw horse set up , it's a little wide . you could try setting up under the barrel , I never have .
Set it up under the barrel today about 6 inches from the muzzle and it picked up the shots, so I'm glad this way is an option.

2000 yards??? Really??? You do realize energy is not your only problem? When killing insurgents who cares! Prairie dogs at 2000 okay knock yourself out. Yotes maybe??? Anything else no way!!! It is not the bullet weight, energy or velocity. It is all the things that could go wrong in the 5 plus seconds it takes for the bullet to get there. Anything beyond a grand is just 🤔! You want to shoot steal at 2000+ it is a lot a fun but not game. And as I said in another post the round won't be your problem. Hope you have really good glass. Something north of $2500.00. Say a dollar for every yard you want to shoot or more. Think TT, ZCO, Leupy MkV 7-35 or NF Atacr 7-35! My Schmidt and Leupy 5-25s struggle at 2000 unless it is a perfect day. Good Luck! I have had the chance to shoot a 375 Cheytec at a grand, fun gun for about 10 rounds and then it just gets boring. No where around here to ring it out. Maybe things are different where your at. The gun we shot had a 32" barrel and weighed about 22lbs with a huge custom break. It was manageable. There is one on a peerless action here for sale with all the goodies. I'd buy it just to have but we really don't have anywhere to really enjoy it. JMTs.

Just to give an update. My barrel decided to speed up, so all my load work up went out the window. Went from 3218fps average to 3308fps average and my es and sd is awful now. I would think a 20* temperature increase would cause this. The only thing I can think, could have been getting to much blast on the LabRadar and now that I've got it positioned better, my readings are more accurate?

Maybe just a little tweaking around of the charge? Think, if it was me, maybe even back down to the lower velocity, if ES was low there.

What is your round count, now?

I've been toying with the idea of seating my bullets down in the necks farther. Not sure how that effects pressure, tho.

Maybe just a little tweaking around of the charge? Think, if it was me, maybe even back down to the lower velocity, if ES was low there.

I've been toying with the idea of seating my bullets down in the necks farther. Not sure how that effects pressure, tho.
seating a bullet farther off the lands reduces pressure.

That is what I was thinking of doing, unfortunately I loaded up 50 rounds like this, so I'm thinking I'm just going to burn them up and then all my brass will be once fired. Then I'll do the ladder again and see where that velocity node is now and see if it'll come back together. I am liking the faster velocity though. 😁 I am right about 60 rounds now.

There are times when even I start to think more frugally and this is one of them.

Unless you are so well monied that these 50 rounds don't represent anything of importance to you, I suggest pulling the bullets, reweighing the powder and then neck size if necessary for the reseating. I'd rather have good, usable information from testing rather than just blowing off 50 rounds to get once fired brass. But that's just me...;)

Enjoy the process!

:)

There are times when even I start to think more frugally and this is one of them.

Unless you are so well monied that these 50 rounds don't represent anything of importance to you, I suggest pulling the bullets, reweighing the powder and then neck size if necessary for the reseating. I'd rather have good, usable information from testing rather than just blowing off 50 rounds to get once fired brass. But that's just me...;)

Enjoy the process!

:)
I've never had great luck trying to build a load off of unfired brass, I also like to have the barrel settled in but that's tough when barrel life is so short.
I've started just picking a charge weight that I know will be safe and go shoot the brass, you can still shoot really good groups this way and slaying steel is fun. Sometimes I'll test seating depth at this time but I find often when I adjust powder charge I'll have to adjust seating depth also.

I've never had great luck trying to build a load off of unfired brass, I also like to have the barrel settled in but that's tough when barrel life is so short.
I've started just picking a charge weight that I know will be safe and go shoot the brass, you can still shoot really good groups this way and slaying steel is fun. Sometimes I'll test seating depth at this time but I find often when I adjust powder charge I'll have to adjust seating depth also.
agreed

What's your goals with this rifle ? I removed a post above because I didn't want to busy up your thread .
Now I wish I would have left it up ..

I have spent countless hrs with 9 or 10 338's . The Rum's and the Edge ..dropped my last Elk at 1244 yards & put a 26 3/4" three shot group at 3027 yards with my 338 Edge.

The three you talk about have been on my my mind for awhile . It was always my next step. I'm setting here Sick again and house ridden . So lots of time to think again.
You have to tell us your intentions with this Rifle .
I wanted so bad to have one of the big boys you posted . But with the problem with supply's right now it looks like I'm staying with my 338 Edge for long range .

The 1500 to 2500 yrds. Is relatively easy with the 338 Edge . Now with the +P and a little throat work some different powder I think I could be on the heels of 3000 ft.per.sec with the 300 gr bergers .
Im at 2884 ft.per.sec in the last 338 Edge with the old style reamer #'s .062 F.B.& H-1000 powder .

I'm positive you could move the velocity up with a few changes !
Sorry do long in the tooth today . Just let me know and I can remove this .

Rum Man
Im currently shooting a 33XC in Light Class & 375 Cheytac in Heavy Class.I startedout witha 300 PRC amd movedup in about 4 mouths to the 2 I mentikon ed.I had built a 30 Sherman Magnum and Have not shot is much at all.Im rollingaround the idea of rebarrling it to a 338 Edge +P.
So how much better is the 338+P than your 338 Edge? How much faster shooting a 300 grain bullet.?