338 XC, Snipetac, or EnABELR

Buy the 2 die set, they come with everything for 33 & 37XC. If you plan on a 41XC as well they will accommodate for $25 more.

Good means different things, I think of good (brakes) as most recoil mitigation priority #1. Others might think less recoil and less blast/blowback to shooter. The Salmon River brake on the 33XC works really well at reducing recoil, and the 2 Beast brakes on the .375 Snipetac barrels do a great job too. Shooting without them is downright unpleasant, I have a suppressor too but it only slightly helps. They all (brakes) tame recoil but the blast felt by the shooter is definitely there, just not enough to disturb my follow through and or spotting my own impacts.
I would say the .375 "kicks" harder. A 12.5/14 lb 33XC with 300 grain bullets over 3k fps vs a 17/24 lb .375 Snipetac with 375+ grain bullets over 3K.

Last edited:
Me steering anyone (or thread) in the right direction:
E1FDBA14-713D-4E6C-8DDA-2B967235E74E.gif

Just getting into the big bore game myself and I went with a 338 Allen Mag. It's a necked down 375 Chey tec. Capable of 3300-3400 with 300gr bullets. I'm going to try the 275 bulldozers when it gets done. Which ever one you choose is going to be a nice rig😉
You won't be disappointed, I had Kirby build me a 375 Am a few years ago. Hope his timetable has improved mine was 4 years.
But for my dedicated long ranger it was worth it. Just wish I shot it more than once every year or so.

I shot a 338-378 Weatherby with that brake and it calmed it down good in a 14lb rifle.
Any other brakes to consider? How's the muzzle climb with the ti? I see it doesn't have top ports to help with that?
I can say I own a few painkiller and Salomon River brakes.
Both are very effective. That being said I prefer the slab style brakes, they just work better. Some don't like the look, I do. If you don't mind the look salmon River will make you a ti slab brake. I have probably 10-12 of those and they are the best I've tried. Just for fun the standard .30 calm one he did for me he drilled out for .338 and I spun it in my .338 lapua improved. Had my dad shoot it at 70 and he said that's not to bad.
They are slightly bigger than Kirby's but a similar concept. I have one on my .30 Sherman ultra light. Still takes the recoil nicely.

What would be a good action choice for the XC? With it being a single shot does it matter?
Any top brand you will be happy with.
As for the lightest and what I consider one of the best. Pierce engineering.
They are great guys to work with. The have a full titanium action that is the lightest I know of. I have two of them. My brother has one and they are very nice and incredibly light.

You won't be disappointed, I had Kirby build me a 375 Am a few years ago. Hope his timetable has improved mine was 4 years.
But for my dedicated long ranger it was worth it. Just wish I shot it more than once every year or so.
Yep, last buddy that got one was about 3.5 years. He makes top notch rifles, but I don't have the patience. Good news could be this: If you have a somewhat limited budget and ordered one, you could get a loan and make payments (& pay it off) before it arrives. As expensive as some of these rifles are they should come with a title.😂 Bad thing is the bank could repossess it. Maybe that could be a job for me when I retire from the military…repossessing rifles. Probably be really dangerous though now that I think about it.😂
Eh, who am I kidding? I couldn't take a man's rifle from him.

Yep, last buddy that got one was about 3.5 years. He makes top notch rifles, but I don't have the patience. Good news could be this: If you have a somewhat limited budget and ordered one, you could get a loan and make payments (& pay it off) before it arrives. As expensive as some of these rifles are they should come with a title.😂 Bad thing is the bank could repossess it. Maybe that could be a job for me when I retire from the military…repossessing rifles. Probably be really dangerous though now that I think about it.😂
Eh, who am I kidding? I couldn't take a man's rifle from him.
Lol just for my own mental health I periodically sent him money so at the end of 4 years my very expensive turn key rifle was paid for and didn't seem to hurt so bad.

You guys have way to much patience.
I would totally forget what I was building in 4 years . But I'm old ! Ha ha

Rum Man
That's why I kept myself busy with my ultra light builds and a few more there. Pierce engineering got 3-4 rifles out to me in the same time with Kirby having a full year head start.
That being said it was my dream rifle and wanted a one and done. So I had the ther to play with. Topped with a 7-35 atacr and it's a nice rig. Worth it? Maybe I use everything else way more but boy it's good for when everyone is in a dick measuring contest. Lol

That's why I kept myself busy with my ultra light builds and a few more there. Pierce engineering got 3-4 rifles out to me in the same time with Kirby having a full year head start.
That being said it was my dream rifle and wanted a one and done. So I had the ther to play with. Topped with a 7-35 atacr and it's a nice rig. Worth it? Maybe I use everything else way more but boy it's good for when everyone is in a dick measuring contest. Lol
That's funny !
Years ago I bought a 10 guage at my.local gun shop . It kept looking at me everytime I went in there to get something . Finnaly i caved in and bought it . Well i got together with the boys to shoot some clay pigeons..i let them all shoot first and when they missed i pulled the trigger ! Haha i swear my shoulder hurt 10 times more that there's but i got the Clay !
It funny the things we do in Life !
He must build one Sweet rifle is all i can say ! Lol

Rum Man

Recent Posts