338 XC, Snipetac, or EnABELR

Big game @ 2k changes the parameters. For deer/elk at that range I would go with as much horsepower as I could muster. A 33XC just wouldn't (doesn't) cut it for me.
You've got me thinking hard about the CT. Just not sure about the recoil in that light of rifle, since I would like to set it up for other people to be able to shoot also. My other thought that has popped in my head is to build the 33 XC, so it's cheaper practice to get to 2000 and than if I still have a need and feel comfortable shooting game that far build the CheyTac.

"Other people" wouldn't even cross my mind, simply because I know some grown men that think a .308 Winchester kicks hard. Not an insult, it's subjective and some are just more tolerant than others. If someone is iffy about shooting the .375, I let them shoot some of my fireforming loads as the recoil is a bit less than normal loads. I usually keep the offset data in my Kestrel so they can actually engage targets at longer ranges.
I don't want to dissuade you, I am just speaking of what I'd do based on my experience with both. The 33XC can do it, but it is really really pushing it at ranges that are really really pushing it. I would just want more. To let you know what I think of the capabilities of my .375 Snipetac, I "jokingly" refer to it as my 1 mile elk rifle.

You've got me thinking hard about the CT. Just not sure about the recoil in that light of rifle, since I would like to set it up for other people to be able to shoot also. My other thought that has popped in my head is to build the 33 XC, so it's cheaper practice to get to 2000 and than if I still have a need and feel comfortable shooting game that far build the CheyTac.
You'll get tolerant of the recoil. Animals out to 2k is questionable IMO, varmints/ predators no problem. If your looking to retrieve it I hope your shooting towards home lol. Personally I'd just go CT and forget about the XC all together. If you feel better about a 33XC it's just a barrel change it out to a 37XC down the road which isn't that far behind the CT

Used to be, anyone suggested shooting game at even 1K yards was scolded. I've always felt it was about shooter ability- including wind and elevation calls, and the hardware more than "rigid" guidelines.

Of course that's changed, at least in the minds of those that utilize the advancements in bullet technology that have minimized drop and drift dramatically over just the last decade.

Not trying to rile anyone up- but as someone that shoots steel at ELR ranges I'm trying to understand how one could be absolutely confident of hitting the kill zone at these ranges, even in perfect, windless conditions.
I'm no expert here, have hunted but do not consider myself a hardcore hunter- I just build the rifles.
I find the kill zone on an Elk to be 14-1/2"-15-1/2" per Chuck Hawks. I'm assuming that's at least in the ballpark even if some might disagree to a point.

At 2000 yards, that's a 3/4 minute shot.
With a 338 LM, I'm confident in most conditions out to 1200-1300 or so. With a CT or XC, I guess that might be extended, a bit- but I could never be confident enough beyond 1500 or so regardless of conditions. The CT has nearly 1,500 lbs retained energy so it's capable, but game at that range would be no for me.

Not trying to rile anyone up- but as someone that shoots steel at ELR ranges I'm trying to understand how one could be absolutely confident of hitting the kill zone at these ranges, even in perfect, windless conditions.
I think the 2000 yards was a potential goal. I'm in the same boat. 2k is a long effin ways, but who knows maybe in a couple years we'll all be doing it.

"Other people" wouldn't even cross my mind, simply because I know some grown men that think a .308 Winchester kicks hard. Not an insult, it's subjective and some are just more tolerant than others. If someone is iffy about shooting the .375, I let them shoot some of my fireforming loads as the recoil is a bit less than normal loads. I usually keep the offset data in my Kestrel so they can actually engage targets at longer ranges.
I don't want to dissuade you, I am just speaking of what I'd do based on my experience with both. The 33XC can do it, but it is really really pushing it at ranges that are really really pushing it. I would just want more. To let you know what I think of the capabilities of my .375 Snipetac, I "jokingly" refer to it as my 1 mile elk rifle.
One friend has a bad shoulder, so he can't take a lot of punishment and the other person who is my sister because she got scoped once and had been shy around larger calibers since. Myself, I'm not worried, with a good break, it can't be any worse than my 9lb 300RUM 😁.
Taylorbok, idea of 33 than 37 later on gave me the idea of just building a switch barrel up front and than it's ready to go.

Used to be, anyone suggested shooting game at even 1K yards was scolded. I've always felt it was about shooter ability- including wind and elevation calls, and the hardware more than "rigid" guidelines.

Of course that's changed, at least in the minds of those that utilize the advancements in bullet technology that have minimized drop and drift dramatically over just the last decade.

I'm no expert here, have hunted but do not consider myself a hardcore hunter- I just build the rifles.
I find the kill zone on an Elk to be 14-1/2"-15-1/2" per Chuck Hawks. I'm assuming that's at least in the ballpark even if some might disagree to a point.

At 2000 yards, that's a 3/4 minute shot.
With a 338 LM, I'm confident in most conditions out to 1200-1300 or so. With a CT or XC, I guess that might be extended, a bit- but I could never be confident enough beyond 1500 or so regardless of conditions. The CT has nearly 1,500 lbs retained energy so it's capable, but game at that range would be no for me.
Got to remember everyone's hunting/shooting experience is different. The terrain we hunt all varies too. I'm not saying I'm just going to take 2k shots, would just like the opportunity if it's presented. Everyone's definition of long range varies also.
Don't forget this is a long range hunting forum and this is the ELR sub forum, where stuff like this will be discussed.

One friend has a bad shoulder, so he can't take a lot of punishment and the other person who is my sister because she got scoped once and had been shy around larger calibers since. Myself, I'm not worried, with a good break, it can't be any worse than my 9lb 300RUM 😁.
Taylorbok, idea of 33 than 37 later on gave me the idea of just building a switch barrel up front and than it's ready to go.

Define worse, lol
I have an un-braked sporter .300 RUM barrel so I have an idea. It's recoil is sharp, but it also doesn't have the blowback from the side ports like my .375 does, different experience shooting those two.
That's like comparing a large framed 6'9" 350lb man hitting you vs a powerful hook from a 180lb boxer. Both a different experience, but they both hurt…trust me!😂
I have thought about selling the .375 (which is a switch barrel rig) and making a 37XC and 41XC barrel for the smaller rifle. I already have the reamer for the 37, plus the dies are the same as the 33.

Define worse, lol
I have an un-braked sporter .300 RUM barrel so I have an idea. It's recoil is sharp, but it also doesn't have the blowback from the side ports like my .375 does, different experience shooting those two.
That's like comparing a large framed 6'9" 350lb man hitting you vs a powerful hook from a 180lb boxer. Both a different experience, but they both hurt…trust me!😂
I have thought about selling the .375 (which is a switch barrel rig) and making a 37XC and 41XC barrel for the smaller rifle. I already have the reamer for the 37, plus the dies are the same as the 33.
Which one hits your shoulder harder? I thought with a good brake, the shooter wasn't suppose to get the blast from brake, just everyone around them? :D The more I think about the more I like the switch barrel idea, especially when you said the dies are the same for both. That's why I like asking questions here, you can get some good ideas. Wouldn't you need different decapping and seating stems though?

Last edited: