338 XC, Snipetac, or EnABELR

Esp given weight requirement, I'd say look at the 33XC. You need a larger-read heavier- action for the CT.

I've been looking to "upgrade" my LM for better performance at 2K.

The .375 CT offers an additional 100 fps vs the XC according to Tubb- with an additional 30 grains of powder.

With the XC:
I can keep my action/boltface.
I can use my existing reloading press.

Yeah, the CT is sexy...but for me, even if I were building from scratch I'd think long and hard about the XC over the CT.

The Brake is the easy part of the build . I forgot how many different ones I have tryed out . Now if your recoil sensitive then your in for a short ride with the ones your looking at .
I wish you were closer to me I could set you up with a few to shoot and test /try out .
It has been a up and down ride for sure .

With the guys that posted above they can help you on the big ones , I can tell you what I have been through with the other 338's .

Rum Man
Ramble all you want, helps the process of trying to figure out what to do.
Recoil isn't a concern for me, but I would like other people to be able to shoot it also. With enough practice, part of the reason for building this is to be able to shoot game out to 2000yds and hit steel further. Idaho's 16lb limit for hunting, is why I want to have it finish in the 14-15lb range, that way if I want to change something down the road, I have some flexibility. I'm thinking 32" barrel also.

The AM have always had my attention, but they are all to heavy of guns to be legal. That's why I've been looking hard at these three.

of the 3 I would do the 338 snipetac for all out performance ... or just hit the easy button and do the hammer 375 CT.. I've done all of them except the Enabler which doesn't interest me in the slightest no gains over the XC and if its a dedicated LR rig you dont need a mag fed anything..

for me the winner was the 375 cheytac awesome brass, awesome dies off the shelf, awesome bullets, and thunder when they hit!!
""

Last edited:
Well now you changed the Game up alot when you added critters at 2000 yards.

Wolf Hell yes , Antelope..hmm possibly, Wt Deer I'm thinking not and Elk ..no way with my 338 Edge ....
You need a bigger GUN !

This is just a quick Shooter app run today.
1600 yards would be my max shot on game unless I could push the 300 gr at 3000 ft.per.sec this info is 2850 ft.per.sec with 300 gr berger 30" barrel.

Rum Man

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220119-072518_Shooter.jpg
    Screenshot_20220119-072518_Shooter.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_20220119-072733_Shooter.jpg
    Screenshot_20220119-072733_Shooter.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 62
The way it looks to me the 33xc would be good possible choice in a packable rifle .
I'm 58 and tred to pack the 14.6 pound Edge plus my gear hunting for a season ..well you now understand why I jumped on the Carbon barrel Rifles .
Plus my Open Heart Surgery isn't helping me either .
If you can Hunt a Ranch where you could haul your rifle to the high point ...well then Yes build it heavy !

It sounds like a 350 gr plus bullet will be what you need to achieve 2000 yards on Game .

Rum Man

He uses what he calls his breaks pain killer. He says it's not bad but if it's more then I like I'm going to put a ti-pro on it. All the ones I have are amazing. The longest is waiting for the barrel. 6-8 months.

The way it looks to me the 33xc would be good possible choice in a packable rifle .
I'm 58 and tred to pack the 14.6 pound Edge plus my gear hunting for a season ..well you now understand why I jumped on the Carbon barrel Rifles .
Plus my Open Heart Surgery isn't helping me either .
If you can Hunt a Ranch where you could haul your rifle to the high point ...well then Yes build it heavy !

It sounds like a 350 gr plus bullet will be what you need to achieve 2000 yards on Game .

Rum Man
Playing with numbers the 33XC with that 275 Badlands bullet would possibly get it to 2000 yds. I know this is all depends on the rifle. I keep coming back to the XC thinking it's the best for what I'm trying to accomplish.

FE5D4CFE-D9B6-49E5-90A8-65BB0095AF06.pngA64FBC0F-B81A-499D-9240-25786A39F7A8.png

He uses what he calls his breaks pain killer. He says it's not bad but if it's more then I like I'm going to put a ti-pro on it. All the ones I have are amazing. The longest is waiting for the barrel. 6-8 months.
I shot a 338-378 Weatherby with that brake and it calmed it down good in a 14lb rifle.
Any other brakes to consider? How's the muzzle climb with the ti? I see it doesn't have top ports to help with that?

What would be a good action choice for the XC? With it being a single shot does it matter?