338 XC, Snipetac, or EnABELR

idcwby

Looking to build a rifle to shoot 1500-2500 yards. Finished rifle needs to weight No more 14-15lbs with scope, bipod and all. What's everyone's thoughts on the three cartridges?

of the 3 I would do the 338 snipetac for all out performance ... or just hit the easy button and do the hammer 375 CT.. I've done all of them except the Enabler which doesn't interest me in the slightest no gains over the XC and if its a dedicated LR rig you dont need a mag fed anything..

for me the winner was the 375 cheytac awesome brass, awesome dies off the shelf, awesome bullets, and thunder when they hit!!!

Attachments

• 20210915_132944.jpg
    20210915_132944.jpg
    881.9 KB · Views: 547
  • 20210915_133331.jpg
    20210915_133331.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 548
  • IMG_20210915_104056_881.jpg
    IMG_20210915_104056_881.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 554
Last edited:
of the 3 I would do the 338 snipetac for all out performance ... or just hit the easy button and do the hammer 375 CT.. I've done all of them except the Enabler which doesn't interest me in the slightest no gains over the XC and if its a dedicated LR rig you dont need a mag fed anything..

for me the winner was the 375 cheytac awesome brass, awesome dies off the shelf, awesome bullets, and thunder when they hit!!!
That is a Thing of Beauty ! Wow !!

Rum Man

You can get a Cheytac chambered rifle to meet that weight limit, but it's a lot easier with the XC. If pure performance is what you want, you can't beat the Cheytac (Imp) case unless you really step up. My 33XC runs powder charges in the 120s with 300 grain bullets, my .408 Cheytac would in the 140s with 400+ grain bullets, and my 375 Snipetac load is 155 with 375 grain bullets. The 33XC was built to get as close to my .375 Snipetac in external ballistics as possible but in a lighter package for hunting.

I was planning on using it as a single shot, so no worries about mag length. I've always been told that recoil is still stiff on the 375 CT in a rifle that light, even with a good brake, is that correct? The only gun similar to these I've shot was a 14lb 338-378 Weatherby, pushing a 285gr A-Max at 2850fps, it had a Allen Painkiller small muzzle brake on it. That's all my experience with brakes on large caliber rifles.

What's your goals with this rifle ? I removed a post above because I didn't want to busy up your thread .
Now I wish I would have left it up ..

I have spent countless hrs with 9 or 10 338's . The Rum's and the Edge ..dropped my last Elk at 1244 yards & put a 26 3/4" three shot group at 3027 yards with my 338 Edge.

The three you talk about have been on my my mind for awhile . It was always my next step. I'm setting here Sick again and house ridden . So lots of time to think again.
You have to tell us your intentions with this Rifle .
I wanted so bad to have one of the big boys you posted . But with the problem with supply's right now it looks like I'm staying with my 338 Edge for long range .

The 1500 to 2500 yrds. Is relatively easy with the 338 Edge . Now with the +P and a little throat work some different powder I think I could be on the heels of 3000 ft.per.sec with the 300 gr bergers .
Im at 2884 ft.per.sec in the last 338 Edge with the old style reamer #'s .062 F.B.& H-1000 powder .

I'm positive you could move the velocity up with a few changes !
Sorry do long in the tooth today . Just let me know and I can remove this .

Rum Man

I was planning on using it as a single shot, so no worries about mag length. I've always been told that recoil is still stiff on the 375 CT in a rifle that light, even with a good brake, is that correct? The only gun similar to these I've shot was a 14lb 338-378 Weatherby, pushing a 285gr A-Max at 2850fps, it had a Allen Painkiller small muzzle brake on it. That's all my experience with brakes on large caliber rifles.
The Brake is the easy part of the build . I forgot how many different ones I have tryed out . Now if your recoil sensitive then your in for a short ride with the ones your looking at .
I wish you were closer to me I could set you up with a few to shoot and test /try out .
It has been a up and down ride for sure .

With the guys that posted above they can help you on the big ones , I can tell you what I have been through with the other 338's .

Rum Man

I was planning on using it as a single shot, so no worries about mag length. I've always been told that recoil is still stiff on the 375 CT in a rifle that light, even with a good brake, is that correct? The only gun similar to these I've shot was a 14lb 338-378 Weatherby, pushing a 285gr A-Max at 2850fps, it had a Allen Painkiller small muzzle brake on it. That's all my experience with brakes on large caliber rifles

That 375 cheytac in the pic isn't bad at all and the Ti pro brake is insane on reducing that monsters recoil .. at 14 pounds its actually a ***** cat considering.

For a max performance ELR hunting rig, I don't think you can out do the .338 AM in a man portable weapon. Kirby has probably maxed out all useable powder space in the Cheytac case. For ELR target I'd go with the .375 version (AM or Snipetac) as barrel life is gonna be better and so will seeing impacts/splash. All that saying "if" you want to stay with the Cheytac size action. If you wanted more extreme it's out there with the same action, just more niche (and costly).
For a dedicated western LR/ELR big game rifle I planned on carrying distance or up/down terrain, I'd go with a lighter XC build. I say I would because that's what I did.😂
Don't get me wrong, I've carried these 20+ lb monsters up some steep mountains…and I've gotten wiser since then.😂