338 wsm

Frank7mm

I finaly got my 338-325 WSM done and all I can say is WOW! If anyone else has one I'd like to share load data. I used a 700 long action, Lilja 28" barrel 10 twist in a sendero stock. I used Quickload to find a starting point. Then worked up. I was hoping to use H1000 as my 6.5 WSM loves it. I settled on 7828,RL25, and RL22. 7828 was the slowest at 2550fps @ max load. The RL22 was 2574fps with a es of 6fps. At this point I was happy as three shots looked like a perfect little 3 leaf clover measuring 5/8" outside to outside. All that was left was the RL25. In the end 72gr RL25(compressed load) 2650fps with the 300gr Hybrid that would print 3 shot groups in the 3's. For a short mag it would sure give the 338 RUM a run for it's money with a lot less powder.

Wow very impressive for such a small case,i have always wondered what the 338 wsm could do,sounds really good.What are the specs on your build and who made/designed the reamer.

Well I would love to here more and see a PIC:cool:. What does Quickload say about R17?

I have tinkered with the 338 WSM idea alot never was sure what to use as the parrent case? I was under the impression the 270WSM would be the best for the 338 but I dont know. Then add the AI in to the mix.

Realy cant wait for a pic?

I am really liking the idea of a 338wsm, especially for a light timber/walking elk gun. Top it with a 2.5-10 NSX and a brake and a 250 Berger when they come out, I've been thinking a little to much about it I think. Nice rig!!!

We have been hunting with several for some years now. Can not say enough good about the 338WSM. I like it so well I had a reamer made moving the shoulder forward .050 so I could hold the same powder capacity as a 338 Win Mag. Benchmark barrels currently has it and the pilot for the 6.5 as well.

I try not to publish powder charges on open forum but each of our 338WSM love Rel 17 and the picture post is of an animal my wife shot between the eyes last fall using a 200gr Accubond at over 2800fps in her 6.2 pound Striker. The bullet was found 18" behind the incredible bridgework on this bull. Start at 64 grains and work up.

Neal

LisasBuff.jpg

I will work on getting a pic. As for witch case to use the 270,300, and 325 all use the same headspace gauge. The 325 is the easiest to form. I would have moved the shoulder ahead but really did not want to fire form every case. the 7mm WSM will give a couple grains more but it takes a little more work on the brass. PTG made the chamber reamer.

I will work on getting a pic. As for witch case to use the 270,300, and 325 all use the same headspace gauge. The 325 is the easiest to form. I would have moved the shoulder ahead but really did not want to fire form every case. the 7mm WSM will give a couple grains more but it takes a little more work on the brass. PTG made the chamber reamer.

Great info thanks cant wait for the pics

kfrye what is it that you are looking for?

Any number of people have a chamber reamer for it. In fact I just had Jim See @ centershotrifles extend a neck on one for me. Benchmark barrels has a reamer as well. PacNor has a reamer.
I would think Redding using a bushing die or CH4D will or can have a set of dies for it. I bought my reloading dies from RCBS when the thought and anticipated Winchester coming out with the cartridge many years ago.

Neal

I am not in the market to build one right now, but the thought of having a short action, reasonably lightweight walking long gun that would still have the ability to reach out like the big 338's sounds interesting- especially since you have more selection in the 338 than the 325 for lr bullets.

I would be very interested in hearing from those who are shooting one of these.

What types of velocities are you getting out of the 250 and 300 grain bullets, and from what barrel lengths? Did you have to specifically throat the chamber for the longer bullets, or are the reamers set up OK as is?

Recent Posts