.338 wm for long range?

Thank you sir. Thats is what I was hoping to hear. Picked up 300 in Dec 2011 just because the Gdaughter might need them some day, in 2020 when she will be 11. {:>)

I have a similar set up a Ruger 77 Mk II with a Timney Trigger a free floating barrel and a glass beding job. I did put a break on it, and use a leaupold 3-9x40. I haven't used it for much in the way of long range I really need a better scope. But it will shoot MOA or better.

I use 225 accubonds at 2950.

Moose Wacker,

Listen to long time long ranger in regards to the 225 cutting edge bullet (BC .640). In my 338 WM I'm getting velocities averaging 2950 with great accuracy and low ES. Using this combination will easily get you to 1000 yards, if that is your goal. My 300 WM has become a safe queen now that I'm using the 338 WM/225 CEB combo for hunting. IMO, the 338 WM is VERY capable out to 1200 yards. Is it the best choice ? No, probably not if comapred to the Lapua or the EDGE. Run the ballistics with the above combo and I think you will find the "old" 338 WM is quite capable of taking game at long distances. Jimmy W.

I

From https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MTH_D62

This bullet is designed for single shot rifles or for individuals willing to shoot their rifles loading a single round of ammunition into the chamber and not into a magazine. This bullet is also an excellent choice for a magazine fed .338 Lapua that will accept a long COAL of 3.880" or other .338 magnum rifles with long magazine wells. COAL will be the brass trimmed to trim length +1.166" bullet projection for recommended SealTite Band position. A minimum 1-10" barrel twist rate is required with muzzle velocity of 2500fps or greater. Real World BC of .640 was calculated using muzzle velocity of 3305fps and actual drops from 500 to 1500 yards. At 1600' elevation and 50 degrees F bullets remain super sonic to 1950 yards when shot at 3305fps. Muzzle velocity was established using a .338 Lapua Magnum rifle with a 34" barrel with a barrel twist rate of 1-10".

Thanks for the feedback guys, anyone have any info on the Burger .338? are they making anything in the 225 gr. or is it still 300 gr.? I havent been able to find much info on them. what are your thoughts good or bad?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.