338 wm 230gr eldx

the 338 230ELDX should do fine on deer. It's not an elk bullet, not when bone is hit

GkweU4U.jpg
what was the impact speed of this shot? what was the bullet path? Thank you for the pic
James

I've shot deer with the 250 sgk it's a great bullet , but just to hard of a bullet for deer that's why I thought the softer faster bullet would be a great deer killer our deer here in Pa. Are not huge body wise

With "any" of the mono bullets, and hunting in heavy cover, I'd recommend a shoulder shot....breaking bone, anchoring the animal, expanding the bullet, and sending bone shards throughout the chest cavity. A behind the shoulder shot, will likely result in a minimal blood trail, and the animal potentially traveling 50 to 100 yards.....recovery could be difficult.

I tend to forget my "dense, heavy cover" roots (no pun intended), where a massive blood trail, and maximum damage needs to be done in a shorter wound channel......making recover much easier. I've been out here too long......larger animals and "mostly" open country! memtb

284saum

That elk looked quite dead.

vandy

I have used several bullet for deer here in Mn. 180 nosler BT, 200 Hornady, 225 Sierra, Nosler pt and Barnes TSX. All worked well. None destroyed to much meat and all died quickly with very little or no tracking, most were drt.

what was the impact speed of this shot? what was the bullet path? Thank you for the pic
James

2100 fps, broadside hit which knicked the scapula and stopped before it entered the chest cavity

284saum

It died after the 3rd shot. First hit scapula and failed to enter the chest cavity. Shot 2 and 3 went behind shoulder, through rib cage and into heart and lungs

284saum

vandy

I have used several bullet for deer here in Mn. 180 nosler BT, 200 Hornady, 225 Sierra, Nosler pt and Barnes TSX. All worked well. None destroyed to much meat and all died quickly with very little or no tracking, most were drt.

I really appreciate all of your guys input , so just one more thing what powder would you guys recommend

I would try most any of what you have.

I'd be happy with 2800 to 2850 bullets should be here Tuesday just got to figure out what powder to burn any suggestions I have a lot of h100v varget , rl 19 17 and h4350

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts