338 wm 230gr eldx

Vandy

HI anyone first time poster here so please be kind I'm kinda computer and phone stupid lol , but anyhow I am looking for someone who is or has done some work with the 230eldx in the 338 win mag

I have "zero" personal experience with the 230 EDLX in the .338....only with a smaller caliber at similar velocities that you will likely get. At close range ....they exhibited, extreme expansion and weight loss. If you are going for larger game, and the potential for a close shot.....I'd look at something else! JMO. memtb

I have "zero" personal experience with the 230 EDLX in the .338....only with a smaller caliber at similar velocities that you will likely get. At close range ....they exhibited, extreme expansion and weight loss. If you are going for larger game, and the potential for a close shot.....I'd look at something else! JMO. memtb
What kind of velocity do you suppose I can get from a 24" barrel , and I'll be hunting whitetails so not huge animals

What kind of velocity do you suppose I can get from a 24" barrel , and I'll be hunting whitetails so not huge animals

We're getting 2950 fps with my wife's .338 WM with 225 TTSX's. These are loaded pretty "warm", so I would expect you to see 2800 to 2900....unless your willing to push'm a bit!

It should be a good Whitetail round.... feedback needed! memtb

I worked up a load with imr4305 and 230eld-x for my 338 wm with a 24" 10 twist fastest was 3002fps with all the pressure sines (to hot) the best node was @ 2895fps the 230eld-xs shot great out of my rifle very consistent under 1/2moa

I'd be happy with 2800 to 2850 bullets should be here Tuesday just got to figure out what powder to burn any suggestions I have a lot of h100v varget , rl 19 17 and h4350

I'd be happy with 2800 to 2850 bullets should be here Tuesday just got to figure out what powder to burn any suggestions I have a lot of h100v varget , rl 19 17 and h4350
Unless you figure most of your shots are going to be beyond 300yds the ELD-X is probably not the bullet you want.

You'd be much better off with the Interbond or Accubond shooting at short to medium ranges as the ELD-X is pretty frangible at high impact speeds. It is specifically designed to be a long range bullet.

I can have shots as close to 30 yrds as far as 600 yrds.

JMO. If there is a possibility of close shots.....you need a bullet better constructed for impact at higher velocities. From my "limited" data....this "ain't" that bullet! memtb

Well guess I'll have to carry 2 loads one for short range One for long man I would think a 230 Gr bullet on a whitetail would do the trick no matter the distance , but wouldn't be the first time I was wrong lol

Vandy, I'm sure it would work on a Whitetail", even at close range. The results should be impressive! I guess that, I was thinking of it as a go to, all around bullet.....for all game, from any angle! I tend to forget that many folks use different bullets, for different game, under different circumstances! I'm not "bright enough" to manage the different scenarios. I just keep it simple....one bullet, one load, one zero! Pretty boring....I guess! :) memtb

the 338 230ELDX should do fine on deer. It's not an elk bullet, not when bone is hit

GkweU4U.jpg

Vandy, I'm sure it would work on a Whitetail", even at close range. The results should be impressive! I guess that, I was thinking of it as a go to, all around bullet.....for all game, from any angle! I tend to forget that many folks use different bullets, for different game, under different circumstances! I'm not "bright enough" to manage the different scenarios. I just keep it simple....one bullet, one load, one zero! Pretty boring....I guess! :) memtb
I've shot deer with the 250 sgk it's a great bullet , but just to hard of a bullet for deer that's why I thought the softer faster bullet would be a great deer killer our deer here in Pa. Are not huge body wise

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts