.338 WinMag

Pizzaman1, Unless you have a shoulder or eye (retina) issues, shooting it should be "no" problem. Stock fit and a premium recoil pad are very beneficial in reducing "felt" recoil. Though, with a pre-64, you may not want to do modifications. I'm not sure of your rifle weight, but I think that it's relatively heavy, which should help "tame" the recoil a bit. Once you've done things to make it fit properly....then, it's time to "mentally" prepare. If you really want to use it.....you will overcome the recoil concerns. It took my wife about a year of shooting for her to get comfortable with her sub (barely) 9 pound, .338 WM. But, she had the desire....so, she accomplished her goal. That rifle/cartridge has been her "go to" and "only" hunting rifle since 1996. She rarely shoots from the bench, only to verify the zero prior to hunting season. The majority of her shooting is from field (practical) positions....though, she will occasionally shoot from prone. I did the load development, so there was no need for her to do a lot of bench work! It's truly a great cartridge, having it and not using it, is your loss! Summary: If you have the desire....you can do it! memtb
Thank You-it is a fairly heavy rifle- it's purely stock, and in about 97 % condition. I have been trying to sell it-just not actively. It is definitely a collector piece and I'm afraid if I start taking it to the range and hunting, it will get scratched and marred up. It always happens-who knows- I just might give it a whirl-it cant be any worse than my Tikks LSA-55 Turkey gun 12/.222. It's necked down to nothing- kicks like a mule- but if a turkey is within 60 yards-DEAD. And--it's only a 2 3/4 " shell!

Get that stock the right length for you!

Install a cushy buttpad like the limb saver

Install a mercury recoil reduce or 2! In the stock!

Find a brake with as many small holes as possible. Like the ANSWER brake

Start off with the lowest weight bullet you can find.

Start offhand.

In a 9lb total weight rifle I have had girls and women shoot it as small as 90lbs!

Rifle "fit" is ESSENTIAL to recoil management!

A 338 is NOT a beast!

A 7# ruger #1 launching a 400 grain slug is!

A 6# single shot 3 1/2 shotgun shooting slugs is!

Lol
Thank You all for the advice! recoil looks t be about 32-35 ft/lbs

Thank You all for the advice! recoil looks t be about 32-35 ft/lbs

I believe in you!

Its manageable I promise you!

Of course I am also the moron that taught his 4 sons to hit bison steel targets with a 12lb 300win shooting 215s @ rediculous 3000fps!

The youngest was 8? He giggled! Might be a ****** strength or pain enjoyment gene?

Needless they all could shoot 24" 3 shot groups @ 1000 yes by the end of the day!

Thank You-it is a fairly heavy rifle- it's purely stock, and in about 97 % condition. I have been trying to sell it-just not actively. It is definitely a collector piece and I'm afraid if I start taking it to the range and hunting, it will get scratched and marred up. It always happens-who knows- I just might give it a whirl-it cant be any worse than my Tikks LSA-55 Turkey gun 12/.222. It's necked down to nothing- kicks like a mule- but if a turkey is within 60 yards-DEAD. And--it's only a 2 3/4 " shell!

Lightweight shotguns just HURT!

BUT

I LIKE TURKEY!

and grouse

And pheasant

And real

And quail

And now I am HUNGRY!!!!

LOL

Get that stock the right length for you!

Install a cushy buttpad like the limb saver

Install a mercury recoil reduce or 2! In the stock!

Find a brake with as many small holes as possible. Like the ANSWER brake

Start off with the lowest weight bullet you can find.

Start offhand.

In a 9lb total weight rifle I have had girls and women shoot it as small as 90lbs!

Rifle "fit" is ESSENTIAL to recoil management!

A 338 is NOT a beast!

A 7# ruger #1 launching a 400 grain slug is!

A 6# single shot 3 1/2 shotgun shooting slugs is!

Lol
Thank You- then it can't be any worse than my Tikka LSA-55 Turkey gun. It shoots 2 3/4" shells. I don't know the choke.

"If" you're seriously considering selling your pre 64, do so.....take the funds and purchase a quality SS, Synthetic stocked, .338 WM and use the heck out of it! You'll quickly learn to love it......for everything! ;) memtb

Pizzaman - If you are not using a brake, just make sure that your .338 has sufficient weight to compensate for the recoil of a .338 WM. If you get your gun too light, it will turn into a beast! And you will not like it!

Some years ago, I purposefully built a lightweight .338 WM on a classic M70 stainless action. Number 4 fluted barrel (Lilja), Rimrock stock. No muzzle brake. Small scope. Wanted it light. With four rounds of ammo, scope, and sling (in other words, field ready), the rifle weighs in at 8 lbs 4 oz.

I like to shoot 250 gr Swift A-Frames in it. Have also used some 250 gr Nosler Partitions. This is not a long range rifle, but was built for hunting black timber elk. It was also used on a couple of Alaska hunts for Sitka blacktailed deer in the midst of the big brown bears.

Anyway, the recoil on this rifle is formidable. Shooting this rifle off the bench is a tough job, and the recoil is really too much. Nonetheless, I have been successfully hunting with this rifle for many years now, and there is no other rifle that I would rather have in my hands in the middle of grizzly country. I have never had to use it on a grizzly, but I have stood with it ready while waiting for Mr. Griz to make his move.

But truly this rifle is too light. So either keep the gun weight up, or else use a muzzle brake to tame the .338. The cartridge is just as good as everyone else has already said on this thread.

And like memtb, my wife hunts with one as well. Hers is an old tang safety Ruger M77, which is just a bit heavier. Makes it a little easier to shoot too.

Memtb -

At 35 I followed my dream! Left a good job, took a substantial pay cut, to start over in a place very foreign to a boy from Louisiana.

Not many people are willing to take that kind of risk! But for those who do, there are some definite rewards! If nothing else, there is a certain kind of freedom for those who are willing to grab the wheel and steer their own course.

Living in Wyoming may not be easy, but it certainly has its own rewards! :)

All the above information is good you bullet should not be a solid copper bullet the 215 serria game king is good the 225 nosler accubond or nosler patican is great.. 338 winchester is the all aroung rifle for all north american game including the big browns and polar bear.

All the above information is good you bullet should not be a solid copper bullet the 215 serria game king is good the 225 nosler accubond or nosler patican is great.. 338 winchester is the all aroung rifle for all north american game including the big browns and polar bear.

Why not a solid copper bullet?
My family has killed HUNDREDS of deer elk bear moose antelope with PHENOMENAL consistency and accuracy...

What are we missing???

We haven't taken that many animals....but in 25+ years, we've yet to have a failure! From antelope to moose, and a few varmints thrown in! memtb

I've shot a number mule deer and a couple whitetails with 210 partitions out of a Ruger 77. Worked great. I just got news I'm getting that rifle back (sold to a buddy). I'll load with 200g accubonds which should be a great all around combo. Back when I had the rifle, it would regularly shoot 1 hole groups with 200g ballistic tips. The bullets were way soft for elk so I switched over to partitions for everything. Hoping the accubonds shoot as well. With either IMR4350 or RL19, it would shoot 3000fps+