.338 WinMag

I started using the 338 win mag in 1994.
Over a dozen elk from 15 feet to 700 yards and change.
Over 40 deer, blackmail, whitetail, mule deer from 25 feet to 850 yards.
HUNDREDS of coyotes
A couple steers
3 black bears

Nothing ever NEEDED a second shot!
Broadside heart lung shots COMPLETE penetration.
Front right shoulder to back left hip deer or elk from a couple yards to 200 yards...

DRT is the norm...

17 deer/elk drt in their footprints in the first streak

14 deer/elk drt in their footprints in the second streak

A 350# 10 point whitetail at almost 500 yards sneaking down a cliff in the shade 3 miles from canada blew the streak... 2 shots, first in the boiler room second taking out the shoulders before he got somewhere I didnt want to go!!! Literally rode the beast 1/4 mile down the hill BEFORE gutting him...

I tried the following from 2800fps to 3150fps in a 24" +brake ruger m77 tang safety and a 26" plus brake browning a bolt 2.

210 noslers and 250 nosler partitions and accubonds. Worked ok...

However.

The genuine original non bobtail 1990s generation barnes flat base 225grn x bullet was CONSISTENTLY A DRT KILLER!!!

EXTREME PENETRATION!

RECOVERED 2 BULLETS OUT OF OVER 50!!!

Both recovered bullets transversed shoulder to hip, 1 a 285lb muley, 1 an 1100lb roosevelt bull. Both DRT in their tracks...

A barnes x 225 at 2950 fps in my experience was THE MOST CONSISTENT bullet I ever shot between 500 and 750 yards for THE LEAST DEVIATION FROM EXYRAPULATED DATA FROM THE RANGE AT 3000 FT ELEVATION AND 500 FT ELEVATION ON OREGON COAST AND 7000 FT ELEVATION IN MOUNTAINS...

The wind age and elevation were amazingly consistent!!!

H1000, RL26 and retumbo, were my favorite powders max load a little compressed, no air room to change burn pattern on angle of shot, bullets 3-5 thousandths off lands...

I love muzzle brakes with small radial holes like the old answer brake as I can see impact 75-100 yards on out... mercury recoil reducing tube in stock and 2.5# trigger, pillar and glass bedded ENTIRE stock with 1/8 th inch gap around circumference and 12" to 18" bipod... I carry shooting sticks like a walking stick as well for standing shots and practice out to 400 yards... Leopold varix 3 3.5-10x50, 4.5-10x50 AND ANY 50MM TO 56MM OBJECTIVE SCOPE OVER 14X WITH A HORUS RETICLE!!! WHEN A BULL OR BUCK IS SNEAKING ACROSS A CANYON OR CLEARCUT IS NO TIME TO ADJUST TURRETS!!!

MOVE THE AIMING POINT ON RETICLE..... EAT LIVER AND ONIONS FOR DINNER!!!

I am looking forward to building a 30" proof fast pitch barrel 28 nosler with 195 Berger's to supplement my 338 dream rifles...

My experience FWIW

338 win mag is perfect for ANY animal coyote to blacktail to bear to bull monster to 5 yr old steer!

Good to know and thanks for sharing. Unfortunately I have never used ear protection when hunting, and maybe I should start, but I've always wanted to hear whats coming towards me or moving around in the bush where I hunt, so never thought of it that way.
There are many hearing protection devices that can actually amplify the sound around you, allowing you to hear things better than your ears. Walker has been making them for decades. In the past few years a host of digital ear protection devices have come to market.

Yes you are correct! However a couple, maybe three shots fired during a hunting season is not something I concern myself with. While my hearing is not as good as it could/should be......it ain't bad. Working in industry for 40+ plus years, shooting for 60+ years, and racing cars/motorcycles.....with much of that prior to hearing protection being "fashionable"! So, going back to my original comment.....I don't think that a few shots fired during hunting season will do a great deal of harm! memtb
Do as you want but, it is a proven fact that regardless of all the previous damage one has incurred, any sound above 140 decibels causes additional permanent damage to their ears. I had a good friend, who is gone now, I shot trap with who stated, like you, "my hearing is getting so bad now I don't need any hearing protection. One day during a registered trap shoot he walked off the trap line an stated he couldn't hear the guy to his left call pull or his shot because he had become totally deaf.

HUNDREDS of coyotes
A couple steers
3 black bears

Front right shoulder to back left hip deer or elk from a couple yards to 200 yards...

DRT is the norm...

A 350# 10 point whitetail at almost 500 yards sneaking down a cliff in the shade 3 miles from canada blew the streak... 2 shots, first in the boiler room second taking out the shoulders before he got somewhere I didnt want to go!!! Literally rode the beast 1/4 mile down the hill BEFORE gutting him...

I tried the following from 2800fps to 3150fps in a 24" +brake ruger m77 tang safety and a 26" plus brake browning a bolt 2.

However.

The genuine original non bobtail 1990s generation barnes flat base 225grn x bullet was CONSISTENTLY A DRT KILLER!!!

EXTREME PENETRATION!

Both recovered bullets transversed shoulder to hip, 1 a 285lb muley, 1 an 1100lb roosevelt bull. Both DRT in their tracks...

A barnes x 225 at 2950 fps in my experience was THE MOST CONSISTENT bullet I ever shot between 500 and 750 yards for THE LEAST DEVIATION FROM EXYRAPULATED DATA FROM THE RANGE AT 3000 FT ELEVATION AND 500 FT ELEVATION ON OREGON COAST AND 7000 FT ELEVATION IN MOUNTAINS...

H1000, RL26 and retumbo, were my favorite powders max load a little compressed, no air room to change burn pattern on angle of shot, bullets 3-5 thousandths off lands...

I love muzzle brakes with small radial holes like the old answer brake as I can see impact 75-100 yards on out... mercury recoil reducing tube in stock and 2.5# trigger, pillar and glass bedded ENTIRE stock with 1/8 th inch gap around circumference and 12" to 18" bipod... I carry shooting sticks like a walking stick as well for standing shots and practice out to 400 yards... Leopold varix 3 3.5-10x50, 4.5-10x50 AND ANY 50MM TO 56MM OBJECTIVE SCOPE OVER 14X WITH A HORUS RETICLE!!! WHEN A BULL OR BUCK IS SNEAKING ACROSS A CANYON OR CLEARCUT IS NO TIME TO ADJUST TURRETS!!!

I am looking forward to building a 30" proof fast pitch barrel 28 nosler with 195 Berger's to supplement my 338 dream rifles...

My experience FWIW

338 win mag is perfect for ANY animal coyote to blacktail to bear to bull monster to 5 yr old steer!
Wow thanks for the info and congrats on all that game harvested. I am looking right now the Leupold varix and seems hard to beat for my needs. As for ammunition well I am limited as to what I can get factory load, so I was able to acquire 2 boxes of Nosler Trophy Accubond in 225gr and a box of Federal Premium Nosler Partition in 250 gr. Not cheap! Up here in Canada about $100 CDN a box (Roughly $65-70 USD). Hopefully I can get this gun on target without having to shoot to many rounds hahaha.

Wow thanks for the info and congrats on all that game harvested. I am looking right now the Leupold varix and seems hard to beat for my needs. As for ammunition well I am limited as to what I can get factory load, so I was able to acquire 2 boxes of Nosler Trophy Accubond in 225gr and a box of Federal Premium Nosler Partition in 250 gr. Not cheap! Up here in Canada about $100 CDN a box (Roughly $65-70 USD). Hopefully I can get this gun on target without having to shoot to many rounds hahaha.
I'd save all your brass if I was you.

Pmc 338 win mag 225 barnes x works great if you can find it

Actually, they share it with me, but yes, I am a blessed man. I absolutely love it when I'm there. Just wished my wife did, but that'll never happen.

Having a "hunting wife" is my blessing! We don't hunt with others.....just the two of us! We don't hunt nearly as hard as we used to.....age and fitness decline have reduced our "marathon" hikes. Plus, where we hunt now has a pretty good grizzly population.....my wife is allergic to grizzly bite! :D memtb

Having a "hunting wife" is my blessing! We don't hunt with others.....just the two of us! We don't hunt nearly as hard as we used to.....age and fitness decline have reduced our "marathon" hikes. Plus, where we hunt now has a pretty good grizzly population.....my wife is allergic to grizzly bite! :D memtb
Wow! Wish I lived where you live. We have good deer, assloads of coyotes, and corn and bean fields as far as you can see.

Wow! Wish I lived where you live. We have good deer, assloads of coyotes, and corn and bean fields as far as you can see.

At 35 I followed my dream! Left a good job, took a substantial pay cut, to start over in a place very foreign to a boy from Louisiana. Lucked-up and met a woman ( both of us coming off of a divorce) that loved the out-of-doors....hunting, shooting, camping, fishing, ect! All of which has been minimized over the last 20 years....spending too much time working on the place! But, this beats the heck out of living near cities and the "unwashed" masses! :D memtb

HUNDREDS of coyotes
A couple steers
3 black bears

DRT is the norm...

However.

EXTREME PENETRATION!

My experience FWIW

But man-that recoil!!! I have a 64 Model 70 .338 Win mag and I haven't shot it yet due to that!

But man-that recoil!!! I have a 64 Model 70 .338 Win mag and I haven't shot it yet due to that!

Pizzaman1, Unless you have a shoulder or eye (retina) issues, shooting it should be "no" problem. Stock fit and a premium recoil pad are very beneficial in reducing "felt" recoil. Though, with a pre-64, you may not want to do modifications. I'm not sure of your rifle weight, but I think that it's relatively heavy, which should help "tame" the recoil a bit. Once you've done things to make it fit properly....then, it's time to "mentally" prepare. If you really want to use it.....you will overcome the recoil concerns. It took my wife about a year of shooting for her to get comfortable with her sub (barely) 9 pound, .338 WM. But, she had the desire....so, she accomplished her goal. That rifle/cartridge has been her "go to" and "only" hunting rifle since 1996. She rarely shoots from the bench, only to verify the zero prior to hunting season. The majority of her shooting is from field (practical) positions....though, she will occasionally shoot from prone. I did the load development, so there was no need for her to do a lot of bench work! It's truly a great cartridge, having it and not using it, is your loss! Summary: If you have the desire....you can do it! memtb

I have only used the 338 Win Mag once to hunt mule deer using a 225 Accubond. I believe it is more than needed for deer but it certainly works perfectly fine if that is what you choose to use and you are proficient with it. I shot a nice mule deer which was perfectly broadside. Unknown to me there was another deer directly behind that one which was so perfectly broadside that I was unable to see that second buck. Bullet passed through both bucks like a laser beam. The two bucks DRT. I was so happy there was not a third or fourth buck standing perfectly broadside behind the second one. This was an honest mistake that anyone could have made. I felt bad and like always , I did not rush my shot. The power of a 338 is very impressive.

Get that stock the right length for you!

Install a cushy buttpad like the limb saver

Install a mercury recoil reduce or 2! In the stock!

Find a brake with as many small holes as possible. Like the ANSWER brake

Start off with the lowest weight bullet you can find.

Start offhand.

In a 9lb total weight rifle I have had girls and women shoot it as small as 90lbs!

Rifle "fit" is ESSENTIAL to recoil management!

A 338 is NOT a beast!

A 7# ruger #1 launching a 400 grain slug is!

A 6# single shot 3 1/2 shotgun shooting slugs is!

Lol