338 Win or RUM?

cross

What to do?

I have a Win. Classic Model 70 in .338 Winchester that has a very short throat. So short, in fact, that I can't load to book max. Most of my case is filled up with bullet. If I get anywhere near book max, I'm crushing so much powder that I can't get the bullet seating depths to remain consistent. The 338 Winchester cartridge works pretty well for me but I'd really rather have all of it. The 338 Watered-down Magnum is much harder to love.

My question is, would you pay somebody to ream the throat out so that I can seat the bullets further out or would you rechamber for 338 RUM? I have a 3.6" magazine box so I'm fairly certain that there is room for the 338 RUM in the magazine but am not completely certain that the bolt would feed the 338 RUMs without polishing the feed rails.

Would you have the 338 Winchester throat reamed orgo to 338 RUM?

I would go to the .338 RUM if your taking it in anyway. 3.6 does limit your OACL but if you wanna run 300's you can go single shot. 225's should work fine though.

I am no expert, in fact I just got my first 338 win in a savage action (going to be an edge eventually) but I would think it would depend on barrel length, rifle weight and brake or not to brake? If your running a short barrel (24"-) I would question the advantages of the rum cartridge. If your not putting a brake on it I doubt the extra recoil would be worth it, powder burning IN the barrel is what counts. I just picked up a savage 116bgh heavy barreled 338win dressed out and weighted down at about 11.5lbs. Even shooting the big 300s should have about the same recoil as my WSM In my tikka lite (8.5lbs fully equipped). I figure that is as heavy as I want in a hiking rifle and with that weight should still be comfortable to shoot with no brake. If your running a 26" or longer barrel it would probably be worth rechambering. Just my amateur opinion. Good luck

Unless you are shooting beyond 800 yards get some 185 grain Barnes ttsx bullets and you can easily make kills to 800 yards with what you have and no brake. Your throat will be long enough for that. If you are going serious long range get a new barrel in 338 RUM. I would not pay the money to rechamber what you have.

Just for the record................I can't take my own advise............ and after posting in this thread I did some research and saw the numbers for the rum and the edge even in pistols so far ahead of the win mag I had to at least consider it. Then a short series of events 1:wife has a new 7mm that needs a brake 2: I ended up with a flexible work schedule today 3:called the gentlemen that makes and installs my wife's muzzle brakes and he say's "sure bring it over and we'll do it right now 4:he has a lathe and a 338 edge reamer. Well so much for my previous theory.........I now own a new semi heavy barreled 24" 338 edge with brake. I will no doubt be burning some powder OUT of the barrel. This thread cost me money! Thanks

No doubt you'll get some more velocity. Can you have someone take a picture of you shooting your new edge? I want to see the fireball!

I run a 300 RUM and I hate the fact even with a longer wyatt's box mag the seating depth is very limited for a repeater. Just as a few manufacturers like winchester made a shorter short action for the WSSM they should have made a longer long action for the RUMs. I know the custom recievers are out there with proper length but they sure don't help making a reasonable light sporter rifle you'd want to carry around the mts.

FYI my 300 RUM is a post 64 model 70 in a McMillan hunter stock and #5 27" lilja. Weight with 4.5-14 X 40 is 8 3/4 lbs. When I wear this barrel out I am seriously considering making a 338/375 Ruger with a better fit for seating bullets from the shorter case.

No pictures of fireball yet , but I have broke 2700fps with 90grains of H1000 behind a berger 300 and over 2900fps with 94grains behind 250 smk. Still working up with both loads. With the brake the recoil is not bad at all with a 11.2lb rifle. 250smk with 90grains(2782fps) threw 94grains(2912fps) in .5 grain increments all landed inside a one inch bullseye, Looks like the 24" savage factory barrel might just be a keeper and I can't wait to test it at distance and with the 300 smk also. So far so good and I have a $600 brand new heavy hitting 338 thumper. I just had to share and put it in the record.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.