.338 Win Mag

nwcp

After reading the numerous posts on this great site I decided it was time to ask a burning question I've had about the .338 Win Mag. I own a Belgium made '74 Browning BAR. Contrary to some folks I like the Browning BAR. I know the gun shoots well out to 250 yards. I've never had the opportunity to stretch it out any further than that in the field, or at the gun club. How does the .338 Win Mag hold up in the real world at ranges beyond 300 yards? Any owners out there that have pushed the round to its limit? I'd be interested in knowing what your experiences have been with the .338 Win Mag.

I love the BAR. My dad has one in 338Win mag. On a good day it will shoot sub moa even with the brick trigger.
The only guys I know that regularly shoot 500-1000 with a BAR, have Belgian Brownings in 300Win mag. Theyre a very tight knit family, and the ''Monarch'' had one so all the boys followed suit, and now the next generation has as well.
As far as shooting at game, I think one of the uncles, Lonnie, has taken game at 20yds to the 600ish range with hand loaded Bergers and a Huskemaw scope. He uses small base dies and doesnt streach his seating depth at all, but its accurate as Ill get out. In one shooting session, we put baloons on fenceposts from 300 to 800 yds in about 100 yd intervals, and he was the only one to clear all of them with only one miss. He blamed the wind moving the baloon for his only miss(it was blowing the baloons around pretty good)
One of the boys has a newer model (circa 1995ish) with BOSS, and can tune his in reasonably well, but its not in the same legue as the Belgian rifles. And his dad and uncles can realy shoot well!

While I don't have a 338 Win Mag, but I do have an 8MM-06 Ack Imp which is quite comparable to the 338 Win Mag. The 338 Win Mag has greater energy than the 8mm-06 ack imp, which should result in fairly good results out past 300 yards.

I have made some pretty good shots with my 8mm-06 ack imp out past 300 yards so I am very sure you would be pleased with the results of your 338 win mag. I am shooting 195 gr tips at 2850 ft/sec and have made some great kills on woodchucks at 300 plus yards.

I'm curiuos too as I just bought my first .338 Win Mag, a LH Savage sstl model. Barrel aint very long and it has a factory brake on it, but seems to be the smoothest gun I've ever owned. It'll be July or Aug before I can get a correct scope on it and shoot it in.

Good luck with yours.

BAR

Great gun the old BAR

I still have mine from 1973 in Grade 2 a 30-06. Replaced the action spring with a Wolff spring few years back works like a new one.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.