338 Win mag

270 MKV

Got a line on a weatherby vanguard in 338 win mag. Don't really need anything that big but the extra snort over the 270 would be cool. Anyway, how hard could one push a 250 grain pill in a 24 inch barrel before having to go to a 29 and a brake to help hold on to it?

If you reload, normally you can push a 250 gr bullet up to about 2700 fps, using the correct powder and reloading safely. In factory ammo- you get whatever you get. Shouldn't need a brake on a 338 win mag in a vanguard. What the &*%# is a 29?

If you reload, normally you can push a 250 gr bullet up to about 2700 fps, using the correct powder and reloading safely. In factory ammo- you get whatever you get. Shouldn't need a brake on a 338 win mag in a vanguard. What the &*%# is a 29?

+1 and the same ? on the 29"--- a 338 win isn't over-bore enough to use much over a 26" barrel to its advantage. Best to go to the rum or lapua if you want something you need a gun bearer for.

BTW. my 338 is a 26" #1 weighing in at 8# scoped. It is stout but just fine recoil wise with the standard hard ruger pad. Put a sissy pad on it and call it a day.

You'll be better off with .225gr bullets. There was nice article/thread ... but can't seem to find ... perhaps some body can find and share it.
The 225 grain pills are about the best balance in the 338 as Feenix has said. My primary load is a 225 hornady or nosler with rl19 under it at 2900 fps. I do shoot 250's, but they barely make 2700 fps.

I have used two 338 Winchesters and have gotten both to 2750 fps with 250 gr. bullets. Both rifles had 24" barrels. My powder for this was R-22.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.