338 win mag ram shot big game or Varget ?Update tried big game

Rilow

Got some 205 shock hammers want to load up. Has anybody tried big game in the 338 wm? I use it in my 30-06 with great results. Also have some Varget but looks like big game would give more velocity. Curious as to your thoughts. As far as other powders , I know there's other good powders but as you know finding some of those right now is looking for needle in haystack.

No experience with Big Game powder, Varget is just too fast for a case the size of a 338WM.

I have 3 338's, I use RE19 in all of them, charges vary slightly, but this powder wins in all aspects over every other powder I have tried. Superb accuracy and velocities higher than all powders I tried.

Cheers.

No experience with Big Game powder, Varget is just too fast for a case the size of a 338WM.

I have 3 338's, I use RE19 in all of them, charges vary slightly, but this powder wins in all aspects over every other powder I have tried. Superb accuracy and velocities higher than all powders I tried.

Cheers.
rl19 is probably the best choice for a 338win with 225gr and heavier pills... That said, Varget is a decent choice with lighter bullets...I have a 300win for lighter bullets so I don't do it, but for a 1 rifle guy it'll shoot. Big game also has listed loads; the o.p. should prolly shoot a bit to see what he likes in it...

Last edited:
H4895 works pretty well for lighter bullet weights as well. Loads top out at around 62gr which certainly isn't compressed but it has been full enough for me to get consistent velocity / decent SD

H414 is also a go to for heavier bullet weights

Had some luck in 338WM with IMR4831 with 213 hammers but it was a compressed load and caused seating issues. Friend suggested to try H4831SC. Any thoughts there. Not much luck with RL19 with the Hammers but it was my powder for 250 Sierra's. Thanks.

rl19 is probably the best choice for a 338win with 225gr and heavier pills... That said, Varget is a decent choice with lighter bullets...I have a 300win for lighter bullets so I don't do it, but for a 1 rifle guy it'll shoot. Big game also has listed loads; the o.p. should prolly shoot a bit to see what he likes in it...
I'm gonna give one a try just not sure which to try first. Varget I think is more temp stable. Would like to get a powder right first pick the hammers are little pricey 😁

I would second H4350. It is the BBQ sauce of powders. Goes well without about everything
Agree....and Reloder 16 is the "secret sauce" if you're wanting max velocities and a temp stable option. I'm using it with great success shooting 210 Hammers on up to the 265 ABLR.

being a former 338 win mag shooting 200 or 205 grainers the H 4350 will be as bood as any and reloader 17 or 19 will work also . Reloader 16 is not for this case. big game is the same as reloader15 not for this case.. now in a 416 taylor it is the best but in a 338 no way.

well reloader 16 is great in the 338/06-35 whelen, but you hava a 65+grain case not a 59-62 grain case 17 will be much better and 19 will do well also.. now the same case in a 375 is great but not in the 358 norma magnum. it is a ratio on bullet dia and case capacity. I love r-16 but in my 30/06 improved cases. and it is the very best in the 416 taylor and I understand good in the 416 rem mag,ut h4350 is by far better in the 416 rem. reloading experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.