.338 Win Mag or .300 Win mag?

Good thread. I would have chosen the 300 win mag with a 215 too.

One thing that seems off is the predicted velocity of the 338 win mag with a 300 gr bullet. 2400 fps seems slow. Is this with a 24" barrel?

I get 2500 fps with a long throated 338 RCM and the 300 gr Berger using a 30" barrel and RL-17. I would think a 338 win mag would beat this especially if it had a 26" or longer barrel.

Anyone have actual numbers?

I don't have any actual numbers. According to QL, though, 2600 or so from a 26" barrel can be had in an accuracy node with the right powder. VERY compressed loads with RL-33 could conceivably yield 2690 in an accuracy node, but I don't know if one could really get enough powder in the case for that to be possible. Perhaps possible if throated for the 300's?

Some experiments with HBN or moly coating bullets might be useful with such a combo, too.

I don't have any actual numbers. According to QL, though, 2600 or so from a 26" barrel can be had in an accuracy node with the right powder. VERY compressed loads with RL-33 could conceivably yield 2690 in an accuracy node, but I don't know if one could really get enough powder in the case for that to be possible. Perhaps possible if throated for the 300's?

Some experiments with HBN or moly coating bullets might be useful with such a combo, too.
This is why I was saying it is not a hotrod caliber...And that if someone is wanting a LR .338, go for the .338 RUM or larger.

This is why I was saying it is not a hotrod caliber...And that if someone is wanting a LR .338, go for the .338 RUM or larger.

EXACTLY why I agree with that assessment AND why I would take the .300 Win Mag in this case size. For the .338 to really come into its own, it needs a lot more capacity than the Win Mag case can offer.

Yup. I hunted with a 338 win mag for years and piled up a lot of elk with it. But once you start to stretch it out, which is what this thread is about, it just doesn't have the velocity.

And the reason why my two long range rifles are chambered in 300 win mag and 338 RUM. :cool:

300 Win Mag

The 300 Win Mag

With the 220 MK or 230 Berger OTM bullets or 208 Hornady AMax

A good rifle with 1-10 twist

Rem 700 Tactical with a a long range scope

I have both the 338 Win and 300 Win Mag.......but if I had to carry one it would be the 300 Win Mag.

For long ranges I use my 338 Laupa

Good thread. I would have chosen the 300 win mag with a 215 too.

One thing that seems off is the predicted velocity of the 338 win mag with a 300 gr bullet. 2400 fps seems slow. Is this with a 24" barrel?

I get 2500 fps with a long throated 338 RCM and the 300 gr Berger using a 30" barrel and RL-17. I would think a 338 win mag would beat this especially if it had a 26" or longer barrel.

Anyone have actual numbers?

I remember seeing it in HSM's website using 26" barrel reference but all I can find now is this ...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 83
Perhaps RL-17 could give the 338 Win mag some extra velocity. I still think you should be able to get at least 2600/2650 fps with a 26" barrel.

I have thought of making a 338/375 Ruger. With case being only 2.580" long, it would fit a standard length action's magazine better than a RUM case and would boost velocity some. It will feed from non RUM actions without feed rail alterations.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.