338 Win Mag loads

Wrenches

I just picked up eight boxes of 338 dia. bullets from an estate sale. Four are Nosler 210 partitions and the other four are Hornady 225 flat base spire points. These are in older boxes and I don't know if they are interlocks or not. I have never loaded for the 338 Win Mag but I have a new in the box Model 70 Super Grade made in South Carolina. I want to start loading for and hunting with this rifle and wondering if any body has pet loads for the two above mentioned bullets. Scanning the load books RL-19 seems to be the go to powder. Any suggestion? Thanks in advance.

4831, 4350, rl19... I've run rl19 with a 225 hdy in my #1 in 338win for a couple of decades and it's been great. You can even get away with slightly faster powders like 4064, 4320, 4895 with the lighter bullets if you don't care about every last fps. I'm currently working with mil-surp 7383 with 185 blems from Midway and it's been great. I'm not even sure the fps yet but at less than $20 a hundred for the pills and $10 a # for the powder I'll shoot up the 500 pills I have and not give a dang as long as the groups on paper are decent. 7383 is not the easiest powder to work with though from what I've read so ymmv.

I'm not sure if the new sp-rp 225 gr 338 hornady interlocks will shoot the same or not for me as the old sp's. I was running low on the older sp's and picked up 300 of the new pills this year. I don't know if I have enough rl19 to push the 300 hdy pills, 100 sierra 250's, and 100 nos ab's so I may have to sub in i7828 for a couple hundred if this powder supply issue continues. I'd think rl22 but that would be robbing Peter to pay Paul as I've got my rl22 overstretched a bit already.

Wrenches, I would urge you to purchase a Teslong bore scope, the model that plugs into an old lap top is around $90.

Examine the quality of the bore.

I shoot the 165g Barnes TTSX(.050 off the lands) with IMR 4350 at 3200 out of a 24" Remington, and I believe that these will out penetrate a 250g cup and core bullet. Accuracy in my factory Rem is 1/2" for three shot groups. I use a Gentry muzzle break on my barrel. This combo is amazing to say the least on game!

Wrenches, I would urge you to purchase a Teslong bore scope, the model that plugs into an old lap top is around $90.

Examine the quality of the bore.

I shoot the 165g Barnes TTSX(.050 off the lands) with IMR 4350 at 3200 out of a 24" Remington, and I believe that these will out penetrate a 250g cup and core bullet. Accuracy in my factory Rem is 1/2" for three shot groups. I use a Gentry muzzle break on my barrel. This combo is amazing to say the least on game!
Rifle is new and unfired, so I don't need a bore scope. I purchased these 8 boxes of bullets for $80 and these are what I plan to use.

I have used imr4350 with partitions for 30 years in the 338 win. Started with the 210, evolved to the 225 and ended up with the 250. The heavier bullets penetrate deeper and veer off course less and havent shed the rear core. The 210 in elk often turned and subsequently shed the jacket from the rear core, limiting penetration (read: i recovered 210s and a couple 225s, but not 250s).
Noslers reloading data is in line with my rifle and loads.

H-4350 and the Partition 210's will handle anything that walks on the North American continent with ease.. I like the slightly faster powders for accuracy and cleanliness and have always used them...great cartridge that has stood the test of time !!

I've found RL16 and H4350 to be my preferred 338WM powders. Right now I'm loading H4350.