.338 Win Mag loads

texas

Now I know that a whole lot you all are shooting .338 of different types but, what about the straight .338 Win Mag? What bullets and velocity are you getting along with range
confused.gif
. DC you seem to be very curious and inquisitive so I'm hoping that you might have some insight
wink.gif
. Driving to the target.

my .338 win mag will shoot under 3 inches for 5 shots at 500 yards.using the sierra accuracy load of imr 4350 67.4 grains with a sierra 250 sbt.i have other loads that shoot great at well.i dont have the col with me right now but the bullets are just oof of the lands.deburr the flash whole and uniform the primer pockets.do not turn the necks.if you have a ball mike check to see that the necks are not way off..338 shoots all i have tried great the 200 225 and 250 also 275.if your still looking for some loads to try let me know the lyman accuracy loads and the serria work great if you need a starting place,thanks,keith

imr 4350 72 grains gave me 2800 in my m70 with a sierra 250 sbt but that load came from a lyman book and is very hot very hot.still it was accurate.dont use r-p cases the primer pockets will get lose real quick.w-w cases is the only way to go with hot loads.the win mod 70 with a boss is one of the most accurate guns i ever shot.i have a mcbross now its mcmillan brothers 50bmg it better out shoot my winchester have not shot it at long range yet.try h 4831sc powder goes through a measure and is a slow burner works great,thanks,keith

What is w-w? Sorry if it's a stupid question just what to make sure I am using the right stuff.

winchester-western brass. I am having good luck with both remington and winchetser brass in mine. The new Barnes 185 grain ttsx makes the 338 winchester shine with a flat trajectory and killing power. It may be worth trying for some 338 winchester shooters. I am having good success with it.

Now I know that a whole lot you all are shooting .338 of different types but, what about the straight .338 Win Mag? What bullets and velocity are you getting along with range
confused.gif
. DC you seem to be very curious and inquisitive so I'm hoping that you might have some insight
wink.gif
. Driving to the target.
Hi there, I was "surfing" and came across this interesting site - well, for me anyway. I use a ruger M77 which has been worked on a bit (boss, trigger job, etc). It performs reliably on large antelope, wildebeest, etc out to 400m using any factory mor close to factory load with bullet weights between 200 and 215gr. Zeroed at 200m bullet drop is negligible at 300 and easily compensated for out to about 400 (no sniper scope required) and penetration and impact at those ranges is still more than adequate. With a bit more practice and decent conditions (or with a decent adjustable scope) I would think it would also be fine to 500, but havent tried it.

I almost gave up on the accuracy of a 338 win mag. after over a 10 months of range time and all different combinations...

..and then ... almost a year later I tried a different powder...
338 Win Mag
225gr Nosler Accubond
Winchester Brass
Federal 215 magnum primers

Here is what made the monster difference
H4831 sc powder - less than 3/4" consisitent groups at 200 yards
2785 FPS MZV - 73.4 gr (remember this is for my rifle, not yours)
.033 off my lands

I loaded 60 rounds with my recipe
proven 4 times at the range at 200 yards. (3 out of 4 3 shot groups under .625.
I am saving the rest of hunting

BTW: this is a Weatherby Vanguard Serie 1 - a 489.00 rifle....

Bottom line: test with different powders and seating depths.

388winmag

I have a Rem.700LH that I bought new to build a 7stw out of it, but my gunsmithtpld me to try it put first that it would probably shoot and boy was he right. It shot the first load I ever tried in it and it will pretty much eat anything you put in it.
The most accurate load it shoots is 68.5gr. of IMR4350 with a 225gr. Hornady SP- 3 shots made one ragged hole at 100yds. And will plant anything it hits and they other load is 74.5gr. of IMR4831 with a 200gr. Nosler BT and plants things also.
I do want to try the 185gr. ttsx to see if they shoot as well. This is a powerful performing, hard hitting rifle and I don't plan on touching it other than to hunt with it and don't see any need for anything bigger that this case unless you plan on shooting it a long way. The only thing it does that could be improved is the recoil, it will punch you pretty good with those 225gr. Loads.:D
FE

I have a Rem.700LH that I bought new to build a 7stw out of it, but my gunsmithtpld me to try it put first that it would probably shoot and boy was he right. It shot the first load I ever tried in it and it will pretty much eat anything you put in it.
The most accurate load it shoots is 68.5gr. of IMR4350 with a 225gr. Hornady SP- 3 shots made one ragged hole at 100yds. And will plant anything it hits and they other load is 74.5gr. of IMR4831 with a 200gr. Nosler BT and plants things also.
I do want to try the 185gr. ttsx to see if they shoot as well. This is a powerful performing, hard hitting rifle and I don't plan on touching it other than to hunt with it and don't see any need for anything bigger that this case unless you plan on shooting it a long way. The only thing it does that could be improved is the recoil, it will punch you pretty good with those 225gr. Loads.:D
FE
Yep, .338's do recoil, but not nearly as badly as .375's, and they are MUCHHH better for long range shooting and, with heavier, tougher bullets (like the Barnes baded solid for example), will shoot just about clean through anything. Knockdown at range is also vastly superior to 7mm and 30cal mags. Personally, I consider the 338WM to be the ultimate all round african rifle. Only constraints are that you dont want to shoot anything you are intending to eat at close range, esp with a light bullet. Also would not rate it as a "charge stopper", but then I have yet to see anyone use a scoped rifle effectively in that role. Recoil can be tamed with a boss and magnum recoil pad - which make for a better long range set-up. All round, I like, i really do like.

I almost gave up on the accuracy of a 338 win mag. after over a 10 months of range time and all different combinations...

..and then ... almost a year later I tried a different powder...
338 Win Mag
225gr Nosler Accubond
Winchester Brass
Federal 215 magnum primers

Here is what made the monster difference
H4831 sc powder - less than 3/4" consisitent groups at 200 yards
2785 FPS MZV - 73.4 gr (remember this is for my rifle, not yours)
.033 off my lands

I loaded 60 rounds with my recipe
proven 4 times at the range at 200 yards. (3 out of 4 3 shot groups under .625.
I am saving the rest of hunting

BTW: this is a Weatherby Vanguard Serie 1 - a 489.00 rifle....

Bottom line: test with different powders and seating depths.

388winmag
.338 Win Mag barrels last just about forever. That is one of the great things about this cartridge. I would not be surprised if the barrel in that Weatherby Vanguard was just starting to get "Run in" and that is why your accuracy improved. This can take quite a while with some rifles.
Anyway that is good shooting so well done.

I shoot a savage 111 in338wm that likes 72 grs of imr 4831 and a 250 gr partition.and a magnum primer.seated to the bottom of the crimp groove,these ,i believe,are the old style partitions.best group was .30"@100 yrds.

now thats the kind of group I like does the hodgedon powder do as well? Have you experienced a 225 grain load that does that well?
Incredibly,that load is the second I tried.The first was just a different bullet,hornady 250 round nose.those shot just over an inch.I bought some blem 225 gr interbonds from midwayusa that were alright.67 grs of imr 4831,good for around an inch moa.I haven`t tried h4831 only because the imr powder does so good in my rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.