338 win mag effective range?

Man, lots of hunters shoot a lot less than a 300 wsm at elk in Idaho. I think you are good out to 1000 yards with the right bullet in the 300. If you want an excuse to buy a new gun, by all means do it. But your 300 wsm is a cannon. I would go 33 nosler or 338 Norma or something sexy if I was going to go the 338 route.
I also take my 300wsm with 180 acubond it's good out to 600 yds for me or in heavy cover I use the 300wsm open country 7mm is the ticket

A mercury recoil reducer in the butt of my Tikka .338 WinMag & a slip-on Limbsaver pad (over the "fit" recoil pad) for range work makes 265gr bullets tolerable. Remove slip-on pad for hunting. You won't notice the recoil for the one to two shots you take @ an animal. This will allow you to use the 265 gr Accubond Long Range (ABLR) bullets, giving you 800 to 900 yard capability.

While muzzlebrakes cut recoil, their increased noise factor makes them a "no-go" for me on a hunting rifle. Perhaps you feel the same.

I personally have a 338 RUM, I really like it, I'm getting 3060fps with a 250gr bullet, fast, flat and hits hard, whatever you decide on, take it out and use it, practice at the range you might need to shoot and more, good optics, you can make this whole thing an enjoyable experience, from the planning to the hunt itself.

For your personal limit.Id go 225 AB IN 338 and 200 AB,in 300 wsm.Ive shot multiple game with my lil pop gun 325wsm and 200 AB,to your target range When i grew up a 338wm was a main go to elk rifle around here.

Last edited:
I personally have a 338 RUM, I really like it, I'm getting 3060fps with a 250gr bullet, fast, flat and hits hard, whatever you decide on, take it out and use it, practice at the range you might need to shoot and more, good optics, you can make this whole thing an enjoyable experience, from the planning to the hunt itself.
im a rum fan but Want to use a lighter rifle. I can't handle the rum recoil in a sub 7 pound rifle.

Last edited:
If I had a 300 WSM and max range was 600 yards, I'd just practice up and go kill an elk. Upgrade scope perhaps, but no need for a new rifle if the 300 WSM is decent.

im a rum fan but Want to use a lighter rifle. I can't handle the rum recoil in a sub 7 pound rifle.
Having owned a 338 Win Mag without a muzzle brake I can tell you something about the recoil. It is stiff. There is a pretty noticeable difference between 225 and 250 grain bullets. Looking at the ballistics you won't gain much by using a 250 in this cartridge. By the time the higher BC starts to pay off you're already running out of poop. A 250 will offer slightly better penetration but unless you're hunting in grizzly country I don't see much point.

If recoil ends up being an issue for you with the 338 I wouldn't hesitate to pick up the 300 WSM. I am a big fan of using 338s for elk whenever practical, and for some shooters the recoil makes them not practical. For 600 yard shooting the 300 WSM and a good 180 grain bullet is a pretty decent option.

Go for it! You should have plenty of energy and velocity for most bullet types to expand properly at 600 yards. Like @ZSteinle, I too prefer the 225 NAB on my .338 WM.
I too use the 225grAB out to 800-900mtr.
I get 2890fps in my Model 70 EW, a little more in my Kimber Select.
Have taken loads up to 2950fps, but accuracy drops off every time.

Have used Berger Elite Hunters in 300gr, but the Edge suits these better with higher muzzle velocities.

Cheers.

I'm in your shoes. I recently built a gun for a first time elk/moose hunt coming this fall. I chose a rem 700 in 338 rum. Had my smith muzzle break it and shooting Barnes 250 gr topped with a Leo mark 4. It's a beast and up too 500 yards confident and climbing. All about the practice but my thought was the bigger the bullet and the more power behind it the less it's affected by wind and other conditions, so the easier it is to be accurate!

I've shot over 20 elk from 100yds out to over 700yds with a Winchester model 70 classic stainless 300WSM. I use 150 grain Nosler Accubond and Ramshot Hunter for a muzzle velocity of 3350fps. Never and I mean never had a wounded elk get away, and I've only recovered 3 slugs next to the hide on the off side (all on hard quartering shots). Usually one and done! My experience has taught me...With bonded bullets you do not need heavy weight slugs, and the added velocity had definite benefits.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.