338 Win Mag Cow Elk Bullet?

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by RevJim, May 15, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. vince warren

vince warren Well-Known Member

225 gr Accubond.....225 gr Partition....no worries. IF you hit broadside behind the shoulder meat damage is of no concern.....ribs are not much meat....but broadside shots may not be possible...enter in the partition, Accubond and other well built bullets. I would not use generic remington/Winchester bullets on Elk....I have seen them lost that way on shoulder hits etc.....quartering....

2. vince warren

Same w Accubond for me...big big hole....338 Win mag....will not go far with good shot placement..

3. BigGrizz

BigGrizz Well-Known Member

Partition and be done

Frog4aday and vince warren like this.
  4. Dry Heat?

Dry Heat? Well-Known Member

This is either a crock of *Rule 4 Violation* or you and your friends can’t shoot. I’ve never needed a second Barnes Bullet in any animal I’ve shot and many I’ve seen shot. Elk, Sheep Antelope, Coues Bucks, Muleys etc. TTSX or LRX Bullets turn their lungs into soup.

Laelkhunter and Hespco like this.
  5. crkckr

crkckr Well-Known Member

I have a difficult time worrying about blood shot meat when an animal gets up and walks off, wounded. Fortunately, this has not happened to me but I've seen it happen to others. Not all mono bullets are created equal so if you're using them, go with what the majority of others have experienced. I will continue to use Nosler Partitions, simply because they work... every time. Besides the occasional accuracy problem, the only complaint I've ever heard about them is they might work "too well" at closer rangers. A buddy shot a Coues at about 40 yards (270 Wthby) and it removed an entire shoulder from the 115 lb deer!

Any wild animal can be unbelievably tenacious when it comes to getting away after being shot, even with a fatal shot. Elk, especially so. I would much rather deal with "DRT" and some blood shot meat than having to chase after an animal I've shot and not 'killed enough.'
    Cheers,
    crkckr

Frog4aday and vince warren like this.
  6. vince warren

Agree...time tested proven for years....not quite as accurate for the long range crowd but none the less proven to work over and over and over.....

jjmp likes this.
  7. jjmp

jjmp Well-Known Member

You've got a great selection there , the Barnes 185 , or the 210 partitions will seal the Deal !!! Congrats on that like New 338 magnum , I'd never trade mine for anything , good luck !, thks

vince warren likes this.
  8. RevJim

RevJim Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I'll settle on whichever this rifle shoots the best. Whether 180 up to 250, I can live with any of them. I do not plan on using the 160 TTSx on anything but deer/antelope, and then only IF my rifle ends up being accurate with them. I see my 200gr NBT from 2700-2900 as more of an "all around" bullet.

9. Tony Formicola

Tony Formicola Active Member

I have never seen a Barnes fail to kill with a good hit on elk or deer. The bonus is you can put it through a shoulder as well. The elk in my avatar took one Barnes 168 grain ttsx 30 cal through the lungs and was found dead 30 yards from impact. I also like some other bullets like the Nosler AB and Partition, Swift Sirocco, etc. I just think people like to blame the bullet for poor hits or improper caliber for game. I'm not a big poster here and don't want to dis anyone but there is no way 6 well placed Barnes are going to fail to drop an elk.

10. vince warren

shot placement is the priority but if moving/running and you choose to shoot, a well built bullet is what you should have and like Tony said, a good one will go through anything....bones included while cheap bullets WILL blow up and not penetrate a shoulder bone and a wounded animal goes off to suffer...would ruin my hunts for a few years if that happened...so far...never has....

memtb and Hespco like this.
  11. TopPin

TopPin Member

The one thing that makes me chose a 225 gr over a 180 out of my 338 is if your shooting past 300 yards the 225 performs much better. If you sight them in dead on at 100 yards the 180 is 7 inches low at 300, vs 4 inches with a 225. Speed is great but the 225 perform ballisticlly better than 180. I've also noticed the 225 hits way harder. Weight is a beautiful thing in a 338. My belief is if your shooting a magnum you shoot them for bullet weight and knock down. You cant go weing with either but the 225 is my perferd go to.

12. ericbc7

ericbc7 Well-Known Member

I didn’t read all the responses, but if you are planning to donate any wild game to food shelves or whatnot You might need to use non lead bullets.

Cold Trigger Finger likes this.
  13. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

Huh???
    Can you explain why a bullet going several hundred feet per second faster will drop almost double that of a slower one at such close range? Personally I would go the other way with that, and the 4” drop at 300 with the 225 should probably be double (or more).

RockyMtnMT likes this.
  14. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

Nothing against the 225g in three 338wm, but I don't think the 225g bullet will make up for its disadvantage in vel with respect to drop and drift until about the 500y mark. Energy will catch up much closer than that, but it is only a small part of the equation.

I'll have to run some numbers when I get a chance, I have been wrong before. I don't think so this time.