.338 Win. Mag. and Retumbo Powder

DocIndy

Has anyone reloaded either the .338 Winchester Magnum 225 grain or 250 grain Swift A-Frame bullets with Retumbo powder? I have some Retumbo powder (I currently use RL19) and would like to try the Retumbo (I realize it is a bit slow and may fill the case, but two different reloaders at a recent gun show said it was being used in the .338 Winchester Magnum, with great success on accuracy).

Has anyone reloaded either the .338 Winchester Magnum 225 grain or 250 grain Swift A-Frame bullets with Retumbo powder? I have some Retumbo powder (I currently use RL19) and would like to try the Retumbo (I realize it is a bit slow and may fill the case, but two different reloaders at a recent gun show said it was being used in the .338 Winchester Magnum, with great success on accuracy).
I wouldn't bother! Accuracy is a wonderful thing, but WITHOUT VELOCITY it is pointless for what we do.
You really want BOTH, I run RE19 too, it gives the highest velocities and the best accuracy in both of my 338. Retumbo is more suited to the 338 Edge, which is what I use in my Edge.
Retumbo will NOT get anywhere near the velocities that RE19 can get.
I've always wanted to try RE17, but data for the 338 is hard to come by.

Cheers.
gun)

rl17 data can be had by dropping your 4350 charge 10% and working up slowly...

Retumbo in a 338win is a good way to turn your 338win into a 338-06... If that's what you want, go for it, but you will be rather range limited...

I have one load for my 270win using mil-surp 50bmg ball and it does decently accuracy wise, but it's dirty burning with the low pressure, and the velocity is 400 fps low. I wouldn't bother but I can punch paper nearly for free with it compared to my big rifles...

The problem with the 338 WM is getting enough powder into the case. Although not as sexy and the newer "Extreme" stick powders, ball powders are definitely worth a look. I've had good results with H-414 and you can find it. Winchester 760 is said to be the same as 414. I'd like to try Winchester 780 and some Ramshot offerings but you never see them available.

Alliant had some data for RL-17/338 WM but when you go to their Reloading Guide, it won't let you in.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.