338 Win Mag 250 OTM

Eastcoastshooter375

I picked up a box of .338 250 OTM's and worked up a few loads last night at the bench. I'm waiting on decent weather to go test. I realize that 250's might be a bit big for the 338 winny, but I thought I'd give it a try.

338 OTM's
Nosler Brass 2.490"
IMR 4350
Fed GM215M

I had to seat the bullets deeper than I wanted in order for a loaded round to clear the ejection port in the rifle. My first dummy round checking for COAL would not eject. The bolt would not come out of the rifle because of the ejector pin hitting the live round.

Once I get time to shoot, I will post results. I haven't seen much info/data on the 338 winny with 250 OTM's, thought I'd give it a shot.

Well I finally got the chance to shoot the 250 OTM's yesterday evening. Back to the drawing board for me...

Possible that my gun doesn't have enough twist to stabilize them?

Possible that bullets do NOT like being seated deep. Last test I could hear powder crunch when seating the bullet, even after using a long drop tube and lightly tapping powder to settle in case before seating bullet.

Shoots 200 gr AB's 1/2", the OTM's averaged 6" @100...

Gotta drop back and punt on this guys. Might just safe OTM's for a future 338 Edge build :D

Any suggestions?

Load to just off the lands and back it off from there. Bergers are sensitive to jump, and even though the hybrids are less sensitive the VLD's, they still like to be fairly close. Its most likely that you will need to run it single shot.

Load to just off the lands and back it off from there. Bergers are sensitive to jump, and even though the hybrids are less sensitive the VLD's, they still like to be fairly close. Its most likely that you will need to run it single shot.

The only bad part about loading "single shot" is that I can not remove the live round from the chamber. The length of the ejection port is shorter than the COAL of the loaded round. The loaded round is close to 1/4" longer than the ejection port.

Tried removing the bolt from the gun with the loaded round but due to design, the shell must eject from the gun before the bolt will continue rearward.

I'm not giving up on these just yet. My 185 VLD's out of the 300 RUM, 115's out of the 25-06, and the 168's out of 7mm08 shoot fantastic. First time working up loads in a Ruger bolt gun. I will continue to post results.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.