338 Win and 225gr Sierra

Just acquired some Sierra Pro Hunter 225gr any good load data with this bullet?

Thanks

Assuming you live in Alaska, and I'm not sure of your intentions with this bullet.... it may be a "little too fragile" for big (moose etc.) game. And....I certainly wouldn't trust my life to them on the big bears. Not to sound "too" negative...but I had several "very" bad experiences with Sierra 300 grain in .375 H&H, back in the '80's. They "exploded" on several animals, failed to exit a mule deer and a black bear ( both broadside shots)...finding an empty jacket only!Maybe their bullets used for big game have vastly improved over the years....but I-choose not to find out. They should be great for smaller, thin-skinned big game....provided you can get a "written guarantee" that you will not be "molested" by a bear! memtb

I'd just toss the 225 hdy or the 225 ab with about 75 rl19 under it...Since you have the sierra already, I'd just try rl19 first. h4831 may work too.

You can get Nosler blems/seconds from Shooters Pro Shop and I would switch over to the Partition or Accubond and use the Sierras for practice and getting use to the 338wm.
I shoot the 210gr Partition over 73.6grs of RL17 for around 3023fps out of a 24" barrel sighted in 3" high at 100yds and hold on hair at 400yds

I have shot a bunch of the Sierra 225 bullets and have good loads with IMR4350, H4350, Hunter, R26 and Superformance. Also R-19 with Nosler and Barnes bullets.
IMR 4350 71.5gr. 2887 fps
H4350 69.5 gr 2861 fps
Hunter 75 gr. 2945 fps
Superformance 76 gr. 2913 fps
R-26 76.5 2838 fps
R-19 75 gr. 2800 fps

These were all safe in my Tikka but YMMV so work up.

Assuming you live in Alaska, and I'm not sure of your intentions with this bullet.... it may be a "little too fragile" for big (moose etc.) game. And....I certainly wouldn't trust my life to them on the big bears. Not to sound "too" negative...but I had several "very" bad experiences with Sierra 300 grain in .375 H&H, back in the '80's. They "exploded" on several animals, failed to exit a mule deer and a black bear ( both broadside shots)...finding an empty jacket only!Maybe their bullets used for big game have vastly improved over the years....but I-choose not to find out. They should be great for smaller, thin-skinned big game....provided you can get a "written guarantee" that you will not be "molested" by a bear! memtb
Yes the Gamekings tend to shed their core at Mag Vel. I noticed over the years the Sierra Pro Hunters are the opposite they retain their weight better.

The hunter load was about moa. I did not play with the seating depth so it could be better or not. The 225 Hornady Interbond did shoot a little under moa.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.