338 vs 325

SemperFi

Hello Kirby!
I was looking for a little info on the hunting effectiveness of the 338wsm vs the 325wsm in pistol bbl lengths of 17" or so. Ranges of 600 yds +- any game up to the size of elk. MV ME.
Thanks.

Sonny

SemperFi

No problem, this started out as a private msg to Kirby but his box is full so i copied and pasted it here and IT WORKED! Maybe at 59 i can still learn![doubtful though].

Sonny

SemperFi

I mat be playing Devil's advocate here, but you would think some of the higher bc bullets for the 8mm mauser would be the cat's meow for mid range work with a 325 wsm pistol. 338 bullets are usually built with at least the 338win in mind, so they may be a bit stiff for good expansion at pistol speeds. As noted, the 338 cal. selection is more extensive, but rather frangible bullets like the berger may be the only thing that'll get you decent expansion at the vel's you can get safely. Either would get the job done imo, but I'd stay with a soft enough bullet to be sure of expansion.
I have experience with the 300wsm in pistol form, but not the 32-33 cal's.

I shoot a 338 AX from Kirby in a 18.5" barrel. I also have a 6.5 WSM and couple more. All are more than capable of taking most anything in the 600 yard range. It comes down to the recoil you want or can stand. Shooting pistols over rifles. My experience 600 yds is where short barrels start making a difference. Compared to most ballistic charts for rifles.

Kirby can give you pro version of ballistics. I can give you the weekend worrier version.

I think that either one will work well, but I'd lean towards the 338 WSM unless factory components are an issue.

From a 17" barrel, you'll still be exceeding 338-06 velocities. I would expect bullets in the 200-225gr range to work beautifully from either the 338 or 325. Heavier bullets in the 338 may not expand very well.

I run a 338/375 Ruger from an 18" Striker and I've had the best expansion with bullets 250gr and under. The 225 Accubond is one of my favorite all round hunting bullets from the pistol. I would expect the 200gr .323 Accubond to work just as well.

Andrew

My dad had a 338wsm pistol built on a savage action, 17" ish barrel. I know it's been a while since he shot it but I could probably get some numbers for the 200 accubond and 250ab. Where about in MN are you?

We have a fella over on specialtypistols that shoots a 325 xp100 and has killed everything from groundhogs up to dangerous game in africa. Also bear in mind that .323 cal bullets have come a long way and have much better selection than a lot of folks think are available. I have a savage rifle chambered in .325 and love it (apples to oranges I know). Hth

WVHitman would be the one you want to talk to. He has killed more game with different handguns than the black death. :D

No legal limit on barrel length for handguns on a Federal level. Some states have a limit on length.

A handgun isn't defined by barrel length but rather the absence of a buttstock.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.