338 UM loads

JackRabbitSquare

I know this topic has been hashed out some in previous posts. (i already went threw them and copied all the data.) but does anyone have any good loads for the 338 UM they want to share. I have a Rem Sendero with the 26" barrel, I am looking at shooting the 300gr or 250gr matchkings.
I would like to work up a good load for elk this season. Anybody else hunt Oregon?

Also what is the trim to length on the 338UM. the sierra manual i looked through didn't have that case, and the only specs i have found say 2.750"

also any other good varmint loads would be fun. i have the JP muzzle break i want to test and see how she does. if the recoil is as low is i might use this rifle for some varmint removal. i might try to shoot P-dogs at some extended ranges
wink.gif

I haven't done any group shots yet. I just got the gun back after having the comp put on in. I checked out accuratereloading.com. the loads look really good but who makes VVN powder?

I haven't done any group shots yet. I just got the gun back after having the comp put on in. I checked out accuratereloading.com. the loads look really good but who makes VVN powder?

There is data on hodgons and nosler's websight also. Be aware that the guys over at accurate reloading work up way over max, I mean just don't start at their max load. I have a nasty habit of starting with the max load that the big companies post (because I know these aren't really max because their lawyer helped develop the load), and just wanted to warn you. I have shot everything from the barnes 160 to the 300 SMK. My sendero puts most loads in one hole at 100, and will hold MOA way out there. Good luck!

where you going to school at? I am Oregon State, Beavers baby. I know what you mean about time... and money. it is a little tight this year, i don't know how much i will get to shoot but i want to work up some good loads for hunting season

I snowboarded in Bend (Mt. Bachelor) for about 6 months after I got out of HS. That's a great state. I go to UCSB, about to get a degree in marine Bio. Will be going away to med scool at U of Illinois next year. Let me know how the Sendero treats you. It's the College student's custom rifle, and mine actually shoots better than some of the custom rigs at the gun club. Talk to ya soon...

I got 2700. Don't quote me on the powder charge because I don't have my data with me but I think it was with 90 grains, and the powder was RL25. There were no signs of pressure so I may be able to get more velocity. You may try RETUMBO by hodgdon, IMR 7828, and other slow burners with the 300. I'm in college so I barely have time to reload. Please post data as you get it.

i know im late but VV N 560 92.1 with a smk 250 shoots great with a gold fed mag pr. it is a max load gives 3035 with a 26 inch and 3100 with a 28.5 inch barrel.

This is a Hot load so work up to it:

Model 700 LSS, Factory 26"
Loaded to where they will just feed through the magazine - but not well.
300 SMK
92.5 H1000 (compressed)
Federal 215
2750 fps

It has a bit of recoil to it. In this rifle it shoots .6 at 100, 1.1 at 200 and holds it together at distance.

I am shooting a 210 Barnes XBTXLC behind 97 grains of reloader 22. Velocity is right at 3400 and it flattens elk like you can't believe and shoots flatter than a 300 weatherby! PS this is a hot load and shows pressure signs with uncoated xbullets.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts