.338 Ultra

hypersonic

Hey guys I have made the plunge into getting somewhat serious about reaching further out than I can with with the 300 Win. I picked up a like new Rem 700 s/s in the tupperwear like thing they call a stock for a song. I also got 70 rounds of factory Fed Premium with the 225 AB's plus 30 emtpy brass. I know not the best platform for such a cartridge but it is a start and once it becomes time for a barrel I have an action and a fair bit of range time/ load work up under my belt. I am not to worried about the stock thats an easy fix.

I did a couple of searches and found a few posts about bullets for the ultra. I have been trying to get some AB's in 225 or 250 but that is a pretty popular bullet in both weights for the 338 Win mag and a lot of guys shoot them round here so for now SOL. I did manage to land one box of 300 MK's which from what I read are not probably my best choice. When I can drive the 225 AB quite bit faster so it will take a fair distance for the 300 to come into its own, plus the recoil with the 225's in the factory stuff in this rifle with no break is my limit but is managable.

I can get lots of load data and have been reloading since I was in my teens so no issues there with making decient ammo. I have all the usual suspects for powders for this cartridge Rl 25 Imr-7828 H-1000, Retumbo H50 BMG and so on.

I know there a quite a few shooters here that have loaded for the ultra. So are there any qirks with this cartridge that you know about or have experienced? Any info from experence would be great.

Thanks

Hype

I think you made a good decision and like your idea that you do have an action when it's time for a barrel change and heck why not get the range time and load workups under your belt on the existing. This way when you do get the new one you may only need a little load tweeking and set to w/o burning uo a new one. What press will you be using to reload the rum case?

Hey guys I have made the plunge into getting somewhat serious about reaching further out than I can with with the 300 Win. I picked up a like new Rem 700 s/s in the tupperwear like thing they call a stock for a song. I also got 70 rounds of factory Fed Premium with the 225 AB's plus 30 emtpy brass. I know not the best platform for such a cartridge but it is a start and once it becomes time for a barrel I have an action and a fair bit of range time/ load work up under my belt. I am not to worried about the stock thats an easy fix.

I did a couple of searches and found a few posts about bullets for the ultra. I have been trying to get some AB's in 225 or 250 but that is a pretty popular bullet in both weights for the 338 Win mag and a lot of guys shoot them round here so for now SOL. I did manage to land one box of 300 MK's which from what I read are not probably my best choice. When I can drive the 225 AB quite bit faster so it will take a fair distance for the 300 to come into its own, plus the recoil with the 225's in the factory stuff in this rifle with no break is my limit but is managable.

I can get lots of load data and have been reloading since I was in my teens so no issues there with making decient ammo. I have all the usual suspects for powders for this cartridge Rl 25 Imr-7828 H-1000, Retumbo H50 BMG and so on.

I know there a quite a few shooters here that have loaded for the ultra. So are there any qirks with this cartridge that you know about or have experienced? Any info from experence would be great.

Thanks

Hype

Midway has loaded ammo with the 225 and 250 from Federal and nosler.

Also they have the 250 grain accubond in stock but not the 225grain.

As you said the loading the 338 RUM is strait forward and the powder choice is plentiful.

I use H 4831 sc in mine and can safely shoot to 1100 yards on elk.

J E CUSTOM

I'm using IMR 7828 behind the 225 gr Accubond in mine. It started out as a stock BDL and shot 1/2" before I even bedded it. I'm getting a mild 3050 fps but the trajectory matches my ballistic plex reticle perfectly out to 600 yards with a 200 yard zero. I haven't tried the 250 gr AB as it wasn't available when I got my rifle but it ought to be a good bullet also.
Like J E Custom said I think you will find it to be easy to load for and accuracy tends to be superb with this cartridge.

Thanks for the replies guys. I way up here in Canuckikstan so ordering from the States would be problematic at best and I have never considered it. I have lots of H-4831 and that was the powder I was going to start with and go from there. It is one of my faves in a few cartridges. Loading currently on a Lee Classic press not the elite of presses but it has been serving me well for the last 5 years and I can't say how many rounds it has loaded it is in the 10's of thousands to be sure. I will be able to get some 225's I think I just have to do a bit of looking around the province. The rifle is a very good shooter for what it is I shot a couple of 2-1/2" 3 shot groups at 300, then again I was shooting very well that day so who knows. This past season I was using a 300 Win running 200 AB's for my flat land deer hunting. Shot a very large bodied Mule buck with very unimpressive head gear at 427 yards which was a chip shot for the cartridge.

I could have done better trophy wise but that buck sure is tasty on the grill and a good management buck to take out of the gene pool. Thats my long shot on game for 2009 every thing else was 250 or less. I could have poked a couple of bragger bucks but they were past my comfort zone with a 300 so Now I have a 338 and a lot of work ahead of me to become better on the butt end. The rifle could do with a break but I can't justify the money on a factory pipe. Once it comes time for a new barrel I will have it breaked. A slip on limb saver over Rem's R3 pad should help some. This rifle is right at my limit though with the factory 225's and makes my 200 grain load for the 300 seem mild. A proper functional stock should make a huge difference. As my experence progresses I will keep you guy's posted on my results.

Thanks again

Hype

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts