338 snipetac

jumper39

Getting one of the big 338s built and wanted to know the optics you guys are using on your rifles to get to 2000 yards.

How many MOA of elevation does the SIII have?

Thanks

Jeff
I think its 70,but to be honest I'm not positive on that. Mine is the picket fence style reticle so I also have another 32 MOA available there. I guess I should have been more specific with my answer and state that I havnt shot that far with it yet, only been to 1150 with it so far shooting but have been scoping elk last year at the 2k mark and had no doubt that if I were capable of it the scope would be more than adaquate to the task.

I think its 70,but to be honest I'm not positive on that. Mine is the picket fence style reticle so I also have another 32 MOA available there. I guess I should have been more specific with my answer and state that I havnt shot that far with it yet, only been to 1150 with it so far shooting but have been scoping elk last year at the 2k mark and had no doubt that if I were capable of it the scope would be more than adaquate to the task.

Thanks, I have been wanting to try an SIII for a less expensive option. The 70 moa should get the op close to 2K if a 35 moa rail was used.

To the OP, I would suggest you take a long look at the new Nightforce ATACR for that Snipetac. It has 120 moa of elevation and what I will be using on my new LRKM in 338 Terminator to get to 3K.

Jeff

Broz,
I think you will be plenty satisfied with the SIII
when you consider their price. And that you can get
a 6-24x50 for 650-700 bucks used. Although I really
don't see to many of them for sale. I'm guessing
because no one wants to let them go.

Getting a NF in a month so can't wait to compare
them.

Depends I guess on what you want to use it for, hunting or targer or both. Actually I guess this is one of those personal preference type questions:)

thanks for the info you guys one more question do you think ffp or sfp

For me SFP only for ELR work. I would think you will want the reticle to remain thin as possible and the target to grow in size as you crank up to max power. With the FFP the reticle grows in size along with the target as you increase power. I insist on the finest reticle I can get and a large target for the most precise point of aim.

Jeff

It would be for both. I have never had a chance to play around with a ffp so just looking for some help with this.

I should add I use the SFP's on all my hunting rigs as well as target, and that includes hunting in dark timber to open plains and across canyons. 20 yards to 2500 yards.

Jeff

What is ffp and sfp?? Sorry new letters here!!
Also, is the sightron?? (Think that's the scope u mentioned) as durable as the NF??

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.