338 snipetac barrel

jumper39

I've been spending a lot of time looking for the perferd barrel for the 338 snipetac and have not found what I've been looking for. Length and bore and maker are my main questions. It will be built for hunting and weight is not to big of a issue for me. thanks

If you plan to go for the larger than 300gr bullets you need to go with a faster than 10 twist. I went bartlien, radiused rifling, 10tw, 34" 1.350 for 14" then tapering to 1" at the muzzle. It's a monster of a truck axle to think about carrying very far.

Dave Vieres, he designed it so he deserves the money for making them. He also does EXCELLENT work at a very resonable price. I had him do the barrel job and got a nice set of dies from him. I am working on the stock now but there are several options there and Joel Russo makes a nice A5 style that would of been my second choice if I was building a more "standard" config for a rifle.

338 SnipeTac

What action did you go with. Did dave a brand he liked to work with over the others. The reason I ask is I was wanting to use a lawton 8000 but the more i read about them and try to contact them makes me lean to a stiller. And did i under stand you right you had Dave do a barreled action and then you will do the rest. That is what i am wanting to do.

I already had a bartlien in hand when I contacted him so we never had that conversation. He did the thread/chamber and muzzle brake(his design) and yes I am doing the rest. It was on a lawton 8000 that I purchased when lawton wasn't having problems. I think if I was buying now I would check out the stiller action or if a couple hundred extra doesn't bother you the BAT actions are NICE and you can get one with a rail machined into the top and skip a bunch of base/ring problems. I also went solid bottom action because of some stock wierdness I have planned. If you checkout his web page and email/call him he is very easy to work with.

I didn't know they were making a 408 sized action now. Have you had a chance to mess with one? Do they have a rail machined in them?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.