338 shooters?

CPerkins

I really need to know a good bullet for a 338 win mag. It will be used on deer sized game. I have found ammo loaded with the 180 gr accubond and 225 accubond as well as a 225 barnes tsx bullet. Anyone used any of these and can tell me about the accuracy and performance on game?

From the the number of posts and my personal experience with the WinMag and if to be used on deer or even elk, the 225 NAB would be the bullet of choice. Ask Goodgrouper but he has them somkin' pretty good.

I just shot a ladder with my .338WM shooting the 180 gr NABs. At 200m, I had consecutive rounds go into a sub 1/2 inch group. I have not had time to go shoot confirmation groups as it is now deer season; however, if all you will be shooting is WT deer, the 180s is all you need. I will have to chrono the loads next time I go to get velocities too. If you are wanting to reach out beyond 4-500 yards, then the 225 gr NAB will offer better ballistics to go along with performance. If you were planning on shooting at longer ranges with a .338 WM, I would look more towards the 250 gr SMK. That would give you much higer bcs to work with. Even the 250 SGK would be a fine choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.