338 SHERMAN

Hi Rich, it's time to bite the bullet. Who is it you recommend in Butte? I also want to do the 270 or 280. One could just use the 270 Sherman reamer for all three, just use different neck reamers? Thanks. Also, what powders seem to work best with the 270 or 280 version? How about best couple of powders for the 338?
Damon Wrampe is in Butte.
You would have to have both a neck reamer and a throated but otherwise the body is all the.
A lot of powders work well in the 270/280 from 4831 to N570. RL26 is very good.
For the 338, H100v and RL17 are good

Just thought I'd let everyone know, Duck Creek Outdoors has some 270 win Peterson brass.

Peter
How's Peterson compare to RWS and Norma?

What's the problem(s) with win/R-P/FC brass? What is the desired length of 270 brass before you start sizing up?

Times are tough for reloading components, not to mention everything is at a premium. If possible I'd like to use the brass I already have.

Last edited:
I have only used 230 grain Hornady copper bullets. I am using Winchester brass with no issues. I don't think I had to trim at all with 270w brass (I'm not near my bench or notes atm). Of course I did fireform the case so there's that. The issue with win brass is that it is softer than the others listed (Peterson, adg). You will likely not get as long of a life and will probably not get quite the performance out of it as you would with the others. If you are okay with a lighter load you shouldn't have problems.

I am just curious because I just came into 1500 once fired 270 win brass. Frontier, FC, Winchester, and R-P. I suppose I won't know which will hold up the best until I try. If anyone has experience with these brass makes, which would you try first?

I only have 1 shot through my Winchester brass. I'm afraid I can't help much there. The leupold scope I have on my gun tracks backwards up and down and the lowest I can get it is 8" high at 100. My experimentation ended early this year due to that. I say load 10-15 of each up and find out.

Been curious about this round since I got my 6.5 Sherman built 8 or 9 years ago when Rich mentioned he was thinking about it. I may finally have the right itch to scratch with Hammer's new 175gr HH they introduced. Steve claims ~3400' in the old Win Mag with that pill and if the Sherman could get close with a 24" barrel…
I think that's be just about as close to all around for where I live as I could get!

"We designed this pure copper Hammer Hunter in a light weight form to put the 338's into a whole new velocity bracket. We loaded this hot rod into our .338 Lap imp for testing and reached a comfortable velocity of 3900 fps! Even with this impressive velocity it still shot solid sub 1″ at 200y. Translate this to the 338 Winchester Mag and we should be able to push the 3400 fps mark. With a bullet that will not come apart and deforms rapidly this is an extremely hard hitter."

Minimum twist: 1-14″
Bullet length: 1.24″
Nose length: .738″
Bullet weight: 175gr
Estimated G7 BC: .198

Attachments

• A461A0A6-9DFD-40B5-B342-CD030253C7E1.jpeg
    A461A0A6-9DFD-40B5-B342-CD030253C7E1.jpeg
    12.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Been curious about this round since I got my 6.5 Sherman built 8 or 9 years ago when Rich mentioned he was thinking about it. I may finally have the right itch to scratch with Hammer's new 175gr HH they introduced. Steve claims ~3400' in the old Win Mag with that pill and if the Sherman could get close with a 24" barrel…
I think that's be just about as close to all around for where I live as I could get!

"We designed this pure copper Hammer Hunter in a light weight form to put the 338's into a whole new velocity bracket. We loaded this hot rod into our .338 Lap imp for testing and reached a comfortable velocity of 3900 fps! Even with this impressive velocity it still shot solid sub 1″ at 200y. Translate this to the 338 Winchester Mag and we should be able to push the 3400 fps mark. With a bullet that will not come apart and deforms rapidly this is an extremely hard hitter."

Minimum twist: 1-14″
Bullet length: 1.24″
Nose length: .738″
Bullet weight: 175gr
Estimated G7 BC: .198
So I'm guessing a 1-10 twist would be too fast?