338 SHERMAN

I am gathering components and was curious what you guys use for case trimming. I typically use the Little Crow, but curious what tool for proper length with the 338 Sherman.

Was planning to use a 30-06 die and a 35 Whelan die open the neck prior to sizing it back with the 338 Sherman die for the false shoulder. Will this work or am I missing something.

100 Peterson 270 brass enroute.

I am gathering components and was curious what you guys use for case trimming. I typically use the Little Crow, but curious what tool for proper length with the 338 Sherman.

Was planning to use a 30-06 die and a 35 Whelan die open the neck prior to sizing it back with the 338 Sherman die for the false shoulder. Will this work or am I missing something.

100 Peterson 270 brass enroute.

I use a Lyman Universal Case Trimmer. No shell holders needed. Uses pilots in the case necks. Set to your desired length and trim away...

Hornady used to make universal neck sizing dies. I don't know if they still do. I have them in 30 cal, 33 cal, and 35 cal. They have worked very well for me.

When you sized the necks back down to .338 did you use different bushings vice what you found for best accuracy?
Same size throughout the process?
Which sizes did you use for Rich's Hornady die?

I figure I can get this majority of the brass prep done while waiting on the barrel. Then wait and order dies to finish. Maybe able to get out first of the year for some fireforming...

When you sized the necks back down to .338 did you use different bushings vice what you found for best accuracy?
Same size throughout the process?
Which sizes did you use for Rich's Hornady die?

I figure I can get this majority of the brass prep done while waiting on the barrel. Then wait and order dies to finish. Maybe able to get out first of the year for some fireforming...

Though I bought a 35 caliber neck die, I never actually used the false shoulder method. I just necked up to 33, jammed the bullet, and fireformed.

My Sherman dies are Whidden dies, from before Rich switched to Hornady. I have bushings in .357 thru .361. I only ended up changing bushings for different brands of brass. I had best results with Norma and RWS brass, which both worked well with the .360 bushing. Accuracy came easily. I never felt the need to experiment with neck tension for that purpose. I just took delivery of Peterson 280 AI brass, but haven't worked with it yet.

These are two shots fired at 1000 yards, while the condition I had dialed in held. The load was a 230 ELD-X @ 2875 in Norma brass. Not bad for a hunting rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_0685.JPG
    IMG_0685.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
My concern would be three times working the neck before seating...Did you anneal each time. Figured I would go .30 to .35. Anneal and then size to .338.

My concern would be three times working the neck before seating...Did you anneal each time. Figured I would go .30 to .35. Anneal and then size to .338.
Norma was soft enough that I didn't need to anneal. RWS required annealing. I don't know about Peterson yet.