.338 Sherman Short Mag build

Yes, the accu bond loads far shorter to the lands.
The 200 Accu bonds are a great choice at 3000+ fps
Thank you for the insight and help, I really appreciate it. I'm hoping to throw 250 grain bullets down range around 2800 FPS and so I may have to get a new stock on order OR have defiance touch the feedramps.

Thank you for the insight and help, I really appreciate it. I'm hoping to throw 250 grain bullets down range around 2800 FPS and so I may have to get a new stock on order OR have defiance touch the feedramps.
Most 250's won't run much more than 2700.
Only the Berger will get near 2800

Just so I understand what you're saying, a 250 Accubond at an COAL of 2.890 isn't something to worry about but potentially is with a 250 Berger? I'm sorry for the dumb questions, never worked with seating depths before.
Worst case scenario, I get a stock inletted for the defiance rather than the remington 700 so the mage elk is aligned.

I'm shooting a 230 eldx 2800 fps at 2.875 oal and that's .020 off the lands.

Just read this regarding bullet jump. Since the VLD and Elite Hunter are similar, I would imagine the same applies. Eric mentions that someone trying to find the sweet spot can go up to .130 jump. So being at a .08 jump, I feel like I might as well give it a try. If not, I will see if I can track down some 200-225 grain Accubonds.

After talking with my buddy who runs a machine shop, we are going to go in and make a notch in the feed ramps of the receiver. From what I can see on other threads/forums, it is pretty common and when done right works exactly as planned. I could do it with a dremel, but cant bring myself to ruin a $1000 receiver when he can do it on his end mill. I really didn't want to sacrifice case capacity (velocity) or have to go down to a lesser weight. So I should be good to still run the 250 bergers at 2.950".

Any idea on if I should give IMR 4064 a shot for powder? LGS just got some in stock and have heard it is similar to Varget but am not sure.

That is what I am thinking. I cant find any Viht, Varget, or R17 anywhere. I have 10 pounds of H4350 and could pick up a few pounds of the 4064 tomorrow. I am not chasing top velocity, just looking for around 2800 FPS out of a 250 berger and a 26" barrel. I guess only way to find out is to try it!

It should work fine but MAY not give quite the velocity of carpet?
Varget. Dang phone
That is what I am thinking. I cant find any Viht, Varget, or R17 anywhere. I have 10 pounds of H4350 and could pick up a few pounds of the 4064 tomorrow. I am not chasing top velocity, just looking for around 2800 FPS out of a 250 berger and a 26" barrel. I guess only way to find out is to try it!
2800 is pretty much tops

Varget. Dang phone

2800 is pretty much tops
Yeah, I know. I am just chasing that number as that is what I have done some preliminary ballistic calculators on and really like those numbers. Would really like to have this as a 1,000 yard rifle suitable for elk but in most cases, will be more around 400-600 yard shots at maximum

I'm currently using H4350 in mine with 230 eldx at 2800

I'm currently using H4350 in mine with 230 eldx at 2800
I like that a lot. I am probably looking at more like 2700 FPS with a 250 Berger. I just need to accept that. It is still a great velocity out of a true short action.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts