338 SHERMAN MAX

I don't have any experience with this powder either. Rich and another member have used it with great success. I asked them about temp stability and I think they said it's not bad. Thus far, I worked an accuracy load in mine with the 285 ELDM and working loads appeared to be a walk in the park(single digit ES/SD) while starring at literally one ragged .338 caliber hole!
I'm gonna try to get an accuracy load with the LRAB and hunt with it next weekend!

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with this powder either. Rich and another member have used it with great success. I asked them about temp stability and I think they said it's not bad. Thus far, I worked an accuracy load in mine with the 285 ELDM and working loads appeared to be a walk in the park(single digit ES/SD) while starting at literally one ragged .338 caliber hole!
I'm gonna try to get an accuracy load with the LRAB and hunt with it next weekend!
That 265 is lookin pretty mean at 2900+!

where I hunt, 2926' with that bullet gives 5050 ft/lbs M E and 2131 ft/lbs at 1000 yards with only 21.2 moa adjustment!
Talk about a do all cartridge:eek:

Last edited:
I just came across the 338ss yesterday and today find this thread. I am very interested in the idea of a short action magnum 338! Can someone tell me the difference between the 338ss, the 338max and a 338-300wsm? I read through this post and looks like the max case length of the max is 2.005 and the max length of the 338-300 wsm is 2.100". Looks like the wsm has a 35 degree shoulder vs the 40 degree on the ss and max. The wsm is a .555" at the base and the ss and max are. 550? Is there a powder capacity difference between the max and the wsm?

I just came across the 338ss yesterday and today find this thread. I am very interested in the idea of a short action magnum 338! Can someone tell me the difference between the 338ss, the 338max and a 338-300wsm? I read through this post and looks like the max case length of the max is 2.005 and the max length of the 338-300 wsm is 2.100". Looks like the wsm has a 35 degree shoulder vs the 40 degree on the ss and max. The wsm is a .555" at the base and the ss and max are. 550? Is there a powder capacity difference between the max and the wsm?
The SS is a shortened Saum with the taper blown out, shoulder sharpened to 40, and neck left longer. It is super efficient and will function in a short action. Case capacity about 75 grains.
The Max is a full length saum with minimum taper and 40 degree shoulder. Case capacity is between 78-79 grains. Both Sherman cases resist stretching, are very efficient, and reduce bolt thrust which allows higher pressure without hammering the brass. Both have Head stamped ADG brass available as well as reamers and dies.
call if you want to chat:
208 755-6723

I'll be doing a 24" when I build mine. Plan on shooting the CE lazer 265. Building off a tikka! I'm excited