338 SHERMAN MAX

I was wondering if this Max case would act more like the 338 Sherman than the SS as far as burn rate and it seems like that MIGHT be the case? Doc will have his up and running soon so we can get more data. Im thinking RL26 behind a 285 ELDM might run around 2750'. That would be a pretty sweet load if it does!
Good work Jeff!
I was hoping to try 285 after hunting was over in my A's was hoping to be at 2750 as I run 250 Berger at 2820last run over Chrono.230s at accuracy of 2885. I really hoped to run 2750 or is that asking to much from the smaller case.

Well I struck out on tags this year so maybe tomorrow I'll give those a try. I have 1 lb of RL-26, and can get some 285's locally. What about RL-23 or v565 ?

Well I struck out on tags this year so maybe tomorrow I'll give those a try. I have 1 lb of RL-26, and can get some 285's locally. What about RL-23 or v565 ?
N565 will be too slow and 23 will work if 26 does but with about 50' less velocity. The case should hold about 2-3 grains more 26 than 23 and thats the difference it takes to run equal pressure with the two. Im glad you have 26 because it ran the 285 up to 2685' in my 338 Sherman and It should run faster in the max. I would start at 65 grains and you will likely be able to shoot just about what the case will hold. Maybe 68-69??
Do you have a drop tube:eek:
Doc just got his back and doesnt have any 26 so I think he's going to try some 7828 short cut

N565 will be too slow and 23 will work if 26 does but with about 50' less velocity. The case should hold about 2-3 grains more 26 than 23 and thats the difference it takes to run equal pressure with the two. Im glad you have 26 because it ran the 285 up to 2685' in my 338 Sherman and It should run faster in the max. I would start at 65 grains and you will likely be able to shoot just about what the case will hold. Maybe 68-69??
Do you have a drop tube:eek:
Doc just got his back and doesnt have any 26 so I think he's going to try some 7828 short cut
No. I don't have a drop tube yet. keep forgetting to order it. But i have dremmel and a electric tooth brush. lol.

I think I mite need to throat this out a bit to shoot these 285's or maybe try a drop tube to keep up with the shermans. The dremmel and elec tooth brush mite not be cutting it. I was getting some crunch starting at 67.5 gr
It was 3.050 COAL in mine, but speed and pressure looked pretty good so far for my barrel.

RL-26 65 2497
66 2533
66.5 2543
67 2558
67.5 2579
68 2613 didn't hit any pressure yet, except for my brain. these hit pretty good, even with a 4 port slab beast brake

Got some 7828ssc from a friend. don't know if this is the same as 7828sc but i hit pressure at 64 gr with a stiff bolt lift. lost the data but i believe it was at 2500
hopefully docs is throated a bit further and a goes a bit faster

I think I mite need to throat this out a bit to shoot these 285's or maybe try a drop tube to keep up with the shermans. The dremmel and elec tooth brush mite not be cutting it. I was getting some crunch starting at 67.5 gr
It was 3.050 COAL in mine, but speed and pressure looked pretty good so far for my barrel.

RL-26 65 2497
66 2533
66.5 2543
67 2558
67.5 2579
68 2613 didn't hit any pressure yet, except for my brain. these hit pretty good, even with a 4 port slab beast brake

Got some 7828ssc from a friend. don't know if this is the same as 7828sc but i hit pressure at 64 gr with a stiff bolt lift. lost the data but i believe it was at 2500
hopefully docs is throated a bit further and a goes a bit faster
Haha. ya those 285's will rock you a bit! There is no doubt that a bunch more FB is needed to launch the 285. I was afraid that 7828 would be too slow. Short cut will help a little, but not THAT much likely.

His throat a LOT longer than yours and was set up for the 285. I believe his is set for 3.3" coal. I'm biting my nails waiting for bartlien to make my barrel so I can get mine up and running. I'm also planning on a long throat for the 265 lrab and 285 epdm.

Well that's it! I've had a 3b bartlien in a 9.3 twist and a tikka wsm sitting here in a box for about 6 months, waiting to see the outcome of my current barrel throat combo. It's going out Monday. Was hoping you guys could share some info on your FB . I would like to try the 270 bulldozer also.
I like what i have now, and I'll keep it for shooting the smaller stuff. I love the way it shoots the 225 badlands and probably try to see how fast I can get the 200 ab or a 200 bulldozer going since it's a 10 twist.

Well that's it! I've had a 3b bartlien in a 9.3 twist and a tikka wsm sitting here in a box for about 6 months, waiting to see the outcome of my current barrel throat combo. It's going out Monday. Was hoping you guys could share some info on your FB . I would like to try the 270 bulldozer also.
I like what i have now, and I'll keep it for shooting the smaller stuff. I love the way it shoots the 225 badlands and probably try to see how fast I can get the 200 ab or a 200 bulldozer going since it's a 10 twist.
There is NO question that the 338 ss responds well to more FB and I suspect the Max will be no different, although Im quite sure slower powders than the ss are going to win out.
I cant remember where we ended up on Docs FB, but it was a lot! I think in the .250" range but dont quote that. He will be chiming in soon as his is up and running.
Also, when fire forming with slower powders, make sure you dont go TOO light! Thats a good way to make a bomb!
In other words, I would normally use a powder that would likely max out pressure, only load 8-10% less than max.
i.e. if 4831 is the slowest powder that would max out pressure with a particular bullet at 65 grains; dont try to fire form with 60 grains of RL33!

There is NO question that the 338 ss responds well to more FB and I suspect the Max will be no different, although Im quite sure slower powders than the ss are going to win out.
I cant remember where we ended up on Docs FB, but it was a lot! I think in the .250" range but dont quote that. He will be chiming in soon as his is up and running.
Also, when fire forming with slower powders, make sure you dont go TOO light! Thats a good way to make a bomb!
In other words, I would normally use a powder that would likely max out pressure, only load 8-10% less than max.
i.e. if 4831 is the slowest powder that would max out pressure with a particular bullet at 65 grains; dont try to fire form with 60 grains of RL33!

thank you. good stuff

Input need.
Doing a 338 max in November, and intent is for a mid range (1k) compact setup. I'll be in a folding chassis and thinking a 22" barrel so if I choose to shoot suppressed it won't be unwieldy long - Tbac 338.
I got a couple 7 max cases and necked up to 338 and set a 250 Berger with full neck bearing on bullet - OAL 3.1600.
So here's the Q's
- with the 250, how much more forward could I hold out bullet and still have good neck bearing/tension.
- how much free-bore does the 250 like? Or what's the optimum chamber length to lans for max powder/speed.
- zero experience with the custom bullets out there, but will there be beneficial gains to goin that route - 240 Bulldozer for instance.
- any ideas on this round for velocity loss per inch?
Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Velocity loss per inch is likely no more than 10'. For the 250 Berger, you could run it .100" up into the neck if you wanted. The std reamer has .087" FB and the bullet is positioned just above the shoulder neck junction

Recent Posts