338 Sherman max vs 338 WSM

I have built 2 .338/7WSM's both are pushing the 250 Berger's at 2920-2950 with rl16, on tikka actions.

Holy hanna, you've got to be running a really long barrel!

I've had a 338/300 WSM for about 20 years. I could PUSH it to 2700 when the barrel was @ 23" with 250's.....but I was really honking on it

I haven't hunted with the 285's, but I have loaded them in my 9 twist .338 Norma mag. I'm not much on pushing pressure in that gun, and with a conservative load was running around 2800 out of my 24" barrel. They load easy, and shoot well, thats about all I can comment on. And they are nearly 2" long, if you want to run heavy monos exclusively, maybe consider an 8 or 8.5 twist, and a bigger cartridge.

I shoot 285 ELDs in my 338 Norma...I have a 1-9.4 proof 24 in...and my load at 2,000 feet elevation is 2755 fps...it is not extreme by any means but not on the lower end either...

Holy hanna, you've got to be running a really long barrel!

I've had a 338/300 WSM for about 20 years. I could PUSH it to 2700 when the barrel was @ 23" with 250's.....but I was really honking on it

What I was thinking too...my RCMs are way off that...with 225 monos CEB lasers I barely get 2700...but mine are out of 20 in barrels

Last edited:
I shoot 285 ELDs in my 338 Norma...I have a 1-9.4 proof 24 in...and my load at 2,000 feet elevation is 2755 fps...it is not extreme by any means but not on the lower end either...
Ya, the hammers didn't pressure up as much as I suspect a hornady would. I think it was like 2780-2790 or so? Using VV-N570. The 265 ablr only got to 2900 or so

I'm more of a 338/06AI person myself. My shots are not that far off so, I'm not convinced a 338 magnum de jour would be a better cartridge for what I shoot.

My inner-Walter Mitty says a 338 boomer would be just the ticket but, a shot past 200 yards is a rare one for me these days, at least for hunting game animals. If I'm at the 600 yard line target shooting, these days I'm generally shooting smaller rounds than the ubiquitous 308Win. Heck, I've been thinking about a 257Roberts to complement a 7x57 and 6.5x55. :cool:

I went away from my 338/300 WSM and went to the 338/06. Mine's on an old G33/40 with a Chanlynn barrel, a true hunt machine!

sooner or later, we'll have available to us pressure testing systems that are reasonably affordable. Can't wait for that day!

As one of my best friends says "pressure equals speed, and speed equals pressure"...........:)
Such device exist. The Kolbe Pmax system created in the early 2000 was doing the job well. But I believe did not reach a market interested enough at the time. There was a patent on that device.

What I was thinking too...my RCMs are way off that...with 225 monos CEB lasers I barely get 2700...but mine are out of 20 in barrels

20" 338 RCM seems like a good combo of a lightweight gun with heavy bullets. Its too bad that round didn't catch on. Isn't it close to a 338 Win Mag in short action?

20" 338 RCM seems like a good combo of a lightweight gun with heavy bullets. Its too bad that round didn't catch on. Isn't it close to a 338 Win Mag in short action?

I love it...it is a lot of thump that is usable. With a 18-20 in barrel and a suppressor and a 225-230 grain bullet...it is awesome about 90% of 338 win with a barrel that is 4-6 inches shorter...yeah I bought 350 pieces of brass so I should be good for some time...

Generally about 200 fps diff, if run at similar pressures and barrel lengths

Well I can tell you I see WSM brass at gun stores all the time, and I've never seen 338 Sherman brass at any in store location. If you're already thinking the short mag, brass availability is a big enough reason for me to go that route, even ignoring any velocity difference between the two, as both are very capable rounds at hitting targets and killing animals provided you do your part.

Late to the party on this one. I have a 338 wsm with a 24 " carbon barrel. 230 eldx are going 2775 FPS with 62.4 gr of H4350 with nosler brass. No issues there, however, the bullets in 338 are all very long and I wanted to specifically run a short action. A true medium action would be best for the 250 gr and up. I think if I had to do it all over again , I would have jumped into Sherman's years ago. I've always had the different WSMs though and that made it easier for me as well as components available. I think Sherman has some of the best stuff going but I think the performance I'm getting out of the wsm is fantastic. Outside diameter is underrated and the recoil on this platform is much more manageable than I expected with a good brake. If I did it today , I would run a 338 Sherman Mega on a medium or long action. Just a little more.