338 Sherman "brush gun"?

I'm working on a similar build, have a beautiful tang safety Ruger M77 that I'm rechambering to maintain the sights to 338 SS or 338 Mega and running the 250 Berger and the 213 Hammer, quick detach rings so I can utilize the open sights in timber. I want the try build the perfect elk rifle for broken timber country.
I love the 338 Sherman too, really think it's an ideal chambering for 0-800 yards.

I'm working on a similar build, have a beautiful tang safety Ruger M77 that I'm rechambering to maintain the sights to 338 SS or 338 Mega and running the 250 Berger and the 213 Hammer, quick detach rings so I can utilize the open sights in timber. I want the try build the perfect elk rifle for broken timber country.
I love the 338 Sherman too, really think it's an ideal chambering for 0-800 yards.
That will be a sweet set up. What barrel length are you planning on, and will you run a brake or go suppressed?

LongWalker, my 338 WSM
Savage Model 16 270 WSM
Now is a 338 WSM
21: SS barrel w/T3 Terminator brake
At-One Stock, (I have long arms)
Big Vortex sitting on top
Right now I shot a .250 group with 225 Makers
at 100yds.
Working on Hammers now, 225HH.
Weight is now 11.5# gun
Is a 500yd gun!!
Just something to think about!!!

Been thinking about a shorter barreled (probably 20") light-ish (around 8lbs all in) rifle for everything but dangerous game. I want a little more energy than 308win and I have a 22" 30-06 but something a little lighter and shorter is what I'm thinking.

Was going to just do 338-06 (gave the 338 RCM a quick look too) but then I thought there was a Sherman in 338 with the standard (non-magnum) bolt face. Did a good bit of searching and reading and especially like that folks are having good luck with Peterson 280AI necked up and fireformed and that it uses other than magnum type powders.

My thought is for a 200 yard or less rifle that's great to 300 and if it turns out nice make it my 500 and in rifle for all but whitetail.

With those expectations I don't need to run the 250 Berger and would look in the 200gr range and the hammers as well. I can't think of too many negatives other than muzzle blast at the shorter length as I don't have any issues with recoil management.

I'm curious if anyone else has built a similar rifle or something close that could share some ups and downs.
You put brush gun in the title so quit screwing around and get a
45-70

Nothing wrong with looking for something more. However my buddy hunting private lands bordering on blm here in Eastern Oregon for elk with a 300 yard limitation. He reaches for his 308 win with handloaded 165 Partitions. That combo has taken it's share of elk.

Recent Posts