338 Sherman "brush gun"?

LongWalker

Been thinking about a shorter barreled (probably 20") light-ish (around 8lbs all in) rifle for everything but dangerous game. I want a little more energy than 308win and I have a 22" 30-06 but something a little lighter and shorter is what I'm thinking.

Was going to just do 338-06 (gave the 338 RCM a quick look too) but then I thought there was a Sherman in 338 with the standard (non-magnum) bolt face. Did a good bit of searching and reading and especially like that folks are having good luck with Peterson 280AI necked up and fireformed and that it uses other than magnum type powders.

My thought is for a 200 yard or less rifle that's great to 300 and if it turns out nice make it my 500 and in rifle for all but whitetail.

With those expectations I don't need to run the 250 Berger and would look in the 200gr range and the hammers as well. I can't think of too many negatives other than muzzle blast at the shorter length as I don't have any issues with recoil management.

I'm curious if anyone else has built a similar rifle or something close that could share some ups and downs.

My similar rifle is a Kimber Montana in 325WSM. Had it custom barreled to 22". Shoots 192-200 Hammers, and 200 TSX's at 2975. Very accurate. But at 7 lbs scoped, it is my worst rifle in terms of felt recoil. I made a special rubberized cushion to go on the scope ring. I've never killed anything with the Hammers, but the TSX is devastating on everything I've shot with it including a couple very large boars. I have never recovered a bullet with this gun.

My thought is for a 200 yard or less rifle that's great to 300 and if it turns out nice make it my 500 and in rifle for all but whitetail.

With those expectations I don't need to run the 250 Berger and would look in the 200gr range and the hammers as well.

In reality, you can nearly accomplish all of this with just your .308 Win. and custom, high BC hunting bullet. But, in search/thinking mode, you might consider the .300 RSAUM and something along the lines of the Badlands 175 gr. Bulldozer 2.

300 yard zero
500 yards up to and including moose
1,000 yards will handle whitetail and Mule deer

All this with a 20" barrel. Exceeds everything you want without creating a ton of recoil or muzzle flash given the proper selection of powders.

The .338 lacks excellent bullets in the lighter category (I know, I tried this before) and you already stated that 250 gr. and above is more than what is necessary.

I do like the .325 WSM also.

Enjoy the search!

:)

I don't know how to link threads but a forum member named Redsnake re-barrelled a Ruger M77 to 338 Sherman.
If you can search Redsnake with 338 Sherman and Ruger M77 you should be able to find it.

I thought about 338 federal a good bit and it still is interesting. I'm even looking at 8.6 Blackout but there's still plenty of TBD there. What kind of velocities are you getting if I may ask? With the shorter barrel I looked for more speed which led me to the 338-06 and hence the 338 Sherman. Even with my self imposed 300 yard limit I always seem to look for extra horsepower.

A good Cajun friend wanted a 338 Federal for his M1a. He drove up from Slidell, and I spun one up for him from a 1.25 blank.

Neck up LC brass was easy. We also rattled some 308 projectiles from LC ammo down the tube. Instant fireformed brass.

It has been a hog getter for him in those water logged landscape around his area.

Last edited:
With a self imposed 300 yard limit, I would build a 338 Federal. I almost built one but I had an extra long action sitting in my safe so I put together a lightweight 338-06 instead. I also have a 325 WSM, another great cartridge, but it sure kicks, recoil is sharper than the 338-06.

I have a long action too that got me looking at 338-06 thinking I could always download it as opposed to hoping I can find a node at the high end of the 338 Fed. Still haven't ruled out the 338-06 as I have a good supply of new Lapua 30-06 brass

The 338 RCM was developed for exactly what you want. The Ruger 77 Hawkeye is a great compact gun with 20" barrels, I have one. I like the caliber so much I built another on a savage action with a 22" Proof Carbon barrel, it hammers 230 grain Hornady ELD X's. Keeping your range to 300 yards any good cup and core bullet will get there. 400 - 500 yards switch to 180 or 200 grain Nosler Accubonds. Can't go wrong with 338-06 either. Good Luck!!!

I've shied away from the magnum cartridges mainly due to components. I don't currently have any magnums in the safe so finding primers in particular would be a challenge. Powders for 300 win mag, 300 WSM 300 PRC and 300SS like H-1000, RL-26, Retumbo, etc are also hard to come by. Throw brass in the mix and and it makes it even tougher. If I was doing this build pre insanity I think I'd pretty quickly settle on 300PRC or 300 SS.