338 Sherman & 175gr Hammer…?

wilkup

Sending my rifle to JES for a rebore and plan to run this setup as a big game option for everything in the Northwest.
For my needs, it's seems like a match made in heaven inside 600 yards. And I get 5 rounds too! Good for bear, elk, deer and lions.
Anyone running that "light" .338 Hammer bullet?

Sending my rifle to JES for a rebore and plan to run this setup as a big game option for everything in the Northwest.
For my needs, it's seems like a match made in heaven inside 600 yards. And I get 5 rounds too! Good for bear, elk, deer and lions.
Anyone running that "light" .338 Hammer bullet?

Oh my, i had not seen the 175's yet. I still have 250 rounds of the 260's but pushing those 175's nearly 4000 fps seems like a killer

I run the 213grn in my 338SS and have kicked around the idea of the 175. With the 213s I get just north of 3000, but that's pretty hard on brass, backed it down to 2920 and it shoots .5 MOA. With just the straight sherman I think you could at least hit 3100 with the 175. They're pretty new, so not sure there's too much info on them yet.

I love my rebore from JES. I had him take an old 30-06 up to a 35 Whelen. Kicks like a mule but still shoots around .75 MOA.

Keep us updated on the speeds you get with this thing.

I just did the calcs, my SF would be 4 at sea level. It is hard to not use those 260's shooting sub 1/4 MOA but those 175's are making it really tempting.
Run the 175's and don't look back, with an SF of 4 it's gonna be hard on critters, I shot a Whitetail@320yardswith the 124's out of a RUM@4200 fps last week, it was impressive to say the least

I loaded the 175g Hammer Hunter in my 338 Lapua imp 30" barrel at 3913 fps with Peterson brass and rl16. Took it up to 3989 fps wanting to see 4000fps on the magspeed! lol. Loosended primer pocket on 3rd firing so backed off a couple of grains to a more comfortable pressure. Ran them out to 870y cross canyon in a tricky wind. At that range the wind beats the heck out of them. Under 500y they will be fantastic. Calm conditions then I would be willing to stretch them farther.

I will be taking this rifle to NM in a couple weeks for a bull elk. We have some ranch land that is easy work that I would use it on. There is also some rougher country that I will bring a 300 rum Hells Canyon for. I'm not as dumb as I used to be carrying a 14lb rifle up steep mountains!

This is on my list for the 338 Sherman. What powder you thinking?

I have some SWP just needs burning and want to try 6.5 Staball as well.

This is on my list for the 338 Sherman. What powder you thinking?

I have some SWP just needs burning and want to try 6.5 Staball as well.
I'm not sure on what powders yet. 6.5 Staball has been money with my 270 and the 117HH. I've got a handful of random powders I'll likely try starting with Accurate 4350 and Win 760.