.338 savage 110 repeater

Dustin Powers

Hey guys, new here and starting a new project. What options do I have for a .338 caliber repeater in a savage long action with stock bottom metal (approx 3.4")? Want to have elk knock down power at 800.

Contender # 1 for me is the 33 nosler. Lapua and edge are out. Any others that I should look into?

On a side note, Does anyone have first hand accuracy info on the 375 ruger from a custom rifle?

Thank you for your suggestions

It is a 7mag already, the jump from that to .33 nosler isn't substantial in terms of cartridge diameter (less metal remaining in shank area) or pressure. Maybe im wrong though

1.055 small v 1.120 large. Both work. But the 338LM should be on the large shank. I have had a brand new set of 338LM dies on my bench and have yet to decide what action to build upon? I'v agonized and almost pulled the trigger on the Savage Target 338LM but, I don't like the barrel length and would have to change it out to 26" - 28", before the brake is added.

lots of options out there.
do you reload?
are wildcats an option?
does it have to be 338 maybe 300?
accurate mag bottom metal will get you to 3.750 oal.
33 Nosler will work on small shank. ammo or brass for reloading is expensive.
300 win mag or 300 PRC with 215-230 will get you past 800 and are elk killers

with the new hornady 230gr ELD-X, why not run the tried and true 338 Win Mag. it'll run that bullet with plenty of steam out of a 24" or 26" barrel to kill fine at that range. with the new powders and a good barrel you should be able to hit 2800fps with the 338WM, which gives you plenty for that range.

230gr ELDX at 2800fps MV, you'd be looking at approx 1800ft/lbs energy and just over 1800fps at 800 yds, plenty to knock an elk off its feet.

lots of options out there.
do you reload?
are wildcats an option?
does it have to be 338 maybe 300?
accurate mag bottom metal will get you to 3.750 oal.
33 Nosler will work on small shank. ammo or brass for reloading is expensive.
300 win mag or 300 PRC with 215-230 will get you past 800 and are elk killers

Yes I reload, Wildcats are possible. Im hung up on the 338 or bigger possibly the 375 as ive got a few 30s. Was trying to stay away from new bottom metal

1.055 small v 1.120 large. Both work. But the 338LM should be on the large shank. I have had a brand new set of 338LM dies on my bench and have yet to decide what action to build upon? I'v agonized and almost pulled the trigger on the Savage Target 338LM but, I don't like the barrel length and would have to change it out to 26" - 28", before the brake is added.
I have the magnum target, it's 26" without the brake,

staying with the factory bottom metal will hurt on oal staying with 33 Nosler or 338 win mag and bullets 210-250 gr will get you to where you want to be

It's a false worry. My current 110, 28 Nosler is small shank. It was 7STW before that. If it's a concern, the original Shilen barrel 7STW, was done without the barrel nut, Remmy style.
The belted mags were not my concern, I have a Win mag and had a 7 mag. It's the larger cases that cause some reserve, I've had several Smith's tell me they don't chamber RUM type cartridges on small shanks. I had one tell me it's fine to do so.

I had that discussion with a prefit barrel maker a while back. but they were more than happy to make a remage in rum cases. when I asked if 16 tpi was that much stronger than 20 tpi because they are both 1-1/16 shank they hung up on me

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.