338 rum

goob

New sub. to this site but i read it all the time. I just had a new 338 rum built on a savage 110 action with a 30" barrel. I am loading 93 grains of retumbo with 300 grain bergers with no pressure signs. Can anyone tell me what my vol. might be. thanks.

I run a 338 LM with that same load and am at 2820 fps. I also have a 338 RUM and shoot the 250 SMK with 97 gens of H-1000. It's at 3021 fps. I could not get the 300 SMK to shoot well in this rifle. The TTSX 225 Barns shoot well with Retumbo in my rifle.

Hey Goob! (funny thats my bros nick name) I would bet your pushing 2800 fps. Its hard to tell without a chrono or a drop. the average speed for this load in a 26" barrel is 2725. ad 20 fps per inch of barrel you end up with 2805(low ballish). This load should push your super sonic to around 2k:Dgun)

I want to get a chronograph. but i know nothing about them can anyone reccomend a brand. Also 95 grains makes the primer dents feel a little raised and rough is this signs of pressure?

When your primer raises like that its a pressure sign. I would say that you would do well not to go above your 93 grains.

I have a 26" barrell on my .338 RUM and with 94 grains Retumbo Im getting right around the 2815-2820 at my elevation. you should be running a little faster with you 30" even though a grain less charge.

I cant stress it enough, a chronogragh is seriously as important to long range shooting as a scope with turrets or hold-over reticle... you cant be effective at it without one (even though I've seen some old timers do some crazy stuff with ol' kentucky windage, still not great). I tried for a long time estimating my velocity. when I broke down and bought a chrony my game got 10x better overnight.

*EDIT* I have a "shooter" chrony, cheap but it works.

Chronograph is a convenient short cut but you don't need one. You do need to check your drops anyway. Go shoot it at range then measure the drop and note environmental conditions. Armed with that info you can run it threw a ballistic calculator and adjust your your velocity to line up your drops. When your drops line up you will have all the necessary data required including velocity. I would save your money for ammo and check your real world drop, tracking and groups at range. My hunting partner and I split the cost of the chronograph I have or I would give it to you because I don't waste time with it any more unless I am developing subsonic ammo.

When your primer raises like that its a pressure sign. I would say that you would do well not to go above your 93 grains.

I have a 26" barrell on my .338 RUM and with 94 grains Retumbo Im getting right around the 2815-2820 at my elevation. you should be running a little faster with you 30" even though a grain less charge.

I cant stress it enough, a chronogragh is seriously as important to long range shooting as a scope with turrets or hold-over reticle... you cant be effective at it without one (even though I've seen some old timers do some crazy stuff with ol' kentucky windage, still not great). I tried for a long time estimating my velocity. when I broke down and bought a chrony my game got 10x better overnight.

*EDIT* I have a "shooter" chrony, cheap but it works.
Thanks for the info. Can you tell me your oacl.

reloaders nest has 93.5 listed as max. I would becareful going over this mark.

absolutely be careful even around this mark (esspecially in temp extreme enviroments).

My COAL is 3.830, but thats a pretty rough measure because the metplats on the SMK's are usually a little diffrent bullet to bullet. with any VLD style bullet I usually try to get them to kiss the lands then back of a thou or so.

absolutely be careful even around this mark (esspecially in temp extreme enviroments).

My COAL is 3.830, but thats a pretty rough measure because the metplats on the SMK's are usually a little diffrent bullet to bullet. with any VLD style bullet I usually try to get them to kiss the lands then back of a thou or so.[ thanks again.I am at 3.80 I think the 93 grains will be all for me.

Just stay within what your rifle tells you. Pressure can change drastically with different powder lots when you reach near max loads compounded by the fact of loading near the lands. Sierra lists 93 grains H-1000 for the 300 grain smk so that would put the slower retumbo up near 95 grains using the same data. 94.5 grains Retumbo has been one of my best loads since 2001 when the 338 RUM was introduced. It just depends on the rifle and the lot of powder. Just let your rifle tell you what to do with that lot of powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts