338 rum

elkstalker300

Is it possible to shoot the 300 smk bullets out of the 338 ultra mag and what kind of twist do you need to stabalize those heavy bullets? Any help or comments would be helpful

Yes you certainly can shoot the 300 SMK from a .338 Ultra. Alot of guys on this site do (including me). Generally from a 26" or longer tube you can get 2700-2750 fps. A 1-10 twist is recommended by Sierra for that bullet, but I have heard that a 1-9.3 works also. The 300 SMK may not be the best bullet for your application, have a look at the thread "lets talk .338 bullets". I was just discussing bullet selection with some very knowledgable shooters on that thread.

Hope this helps.

JM

I read that forum and it talked alot about ab and other bullets, I was thinking about using the 300 smks until berger gets the lead out and gets theirs on the market. Nothing was mentioned about twist. Is it better just to shoot the barrell out then go 300 edge is there that much adv. I hunt elk and deer out to 1000 yds and my 300 rum does really good but would like to target out to 1500 or so :)

liltank,
I may be mistaken, but I think that most .338 lapua's get around 2800-2850 with that powder charge. That is the DE "pet load" is it not (for the edge of course). I can see a Lapua Imp. geting that velocity, but not the standard Magnum. Dont mean in anyway to be arguementative, just thought that was the data for that round. unless that cartrige does that much better on with the 32" tube.

elkstalker300,
.338 RUM is more than ample for elk at 1000 yards. It matches what the Lapua can do, if not it comes very close. If you are building anything custom then go with the Lapua or Lapua Imp. or another wildcat. If your re-barreling a Rem 700, go with the Edge (Best .338 cartrige for that action). If you are buying new, and have a budget the .338 RUM will do everything that the Lapua will. I personally bought a .338 RUM in a Rem XCR. added some needed items, did a little stock modifacation, tuned in with some hand loads and I have a nice rifle.
But if you want an all out LRH Rig go with and Allen Mag, Kahn, or Lapua Imp. Get the 32" tube and have a cannon that weights upwards of 15#'s and never look back.

JM

liltank,
I may be mistaken, but I think that most .338 lapua's get around 2800-2850 with that powder charge. That is the DE "pet load" is it not (for the edge of course). I can see a Lapua Imp. geting that velocity, but not the standard Magnum. Dont mean in anyway to be arguementative, just thought that was the data for that round. unless that cartrige does that much better on with the 32" tube.

JM

That is the speed we got over the chrony. 2981fps is our avg using a 1:10 Douglas barrel Lapua brass, and 92.2grns of H1000. We can use 93.2 but the speed does not improve, it does close the ES to 6fps where the 92.2 has a spread of 11fps.

Tank

Liltank,
That sounds awesome. Those are nice low ES. I think you've got a real shooter. I thougth that the Lapua was a little slower than that, but you cant argue with pops up on the screen!

My 338 RUM sporter is a tack driver w/the 300 smk. Velocity is around 2730 +/- depending on temperature, FS or partial sized case, etc.

However on one occasion I got readings of 2830 or so with what had been giving me the 2730 numbers after I changed chronys........

I read what the Edge fellas are doing and I figure I'm in the bottom end of the same league. I read what the Lapua fellas are doing and I'm pretty much in the same league with them.

However, if I had a 338 RUM w/Lapua brass I'd be in the same league or above the Edge fellas. Remington brass is a definite handicap.

Thus if I were going with a 338 from scratch and wasn't so cheap it would be the Lapua just for the brass and coolness factor.

I just like the way "Lapua" sounds. Its like a nija magnum or something. It just says "I'm tough" without as many words! I would put the .338 Kahn in the same boat.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.