.338 RUM. Working up my first long range loads.

orangeride

I've got a .338 rum on a Rem 700 action in a h-s stock with a 27" kriegger barrel. I intend to use it on deer, and antelope out to 7-8 hundred yards. I picked up some sierra and hornady 250 gr match hp bullets. I noticed the meplets don't look real consistent. Should I plan on uniforming for the beginning, or is it a waste of my time at those distances?

I've got a .338 rum on a Rem 700 action in a h-s stock with a 27" kriegger barrel. I intend to use it on deer, and antelope out to 7-8 hundred yards. I picked up some sierra and hornady 250 gr match hp bullets. I noticed the meplets don't look real consistent. Should I plan on uniforming for the beginning, or is it a waste of my time at those distances?

Making the bullets uniform is always a good idea, but I would recommend working with a good
hunting bullet for game.

The match bullets are good and accurate but so are some of the newer hunting bullets and
terminal performance is more consistant shot to shot.

I have been very impressed with the Accubonds performance and accuracy.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Ya I hear what your saying. I also picked up a box of 250gr accurbond. Deer and antelope aren't very big, and I'm looking for a bullet with rapid expansion. I wish Nosler made a heavy balistic tip. I'm more worried about poor bullet expansion, than over expansion. These are big heavy bullets on very small game.

Thanks for the links. All I can say is wow! How have the barnes been on game? I've had bad luck in the past with them. I've got a 6.5x300 rum that would shoot the old 140gr xlc sub 1" three shots at 3 hundred yards. 3550fps at the muzzle. When you hit bone those bullets where awesome! But I shot a doe at 100 yards broadside right through the chest and the thing walked off like nothing. My brother swore I missed it! It walked 100yrds then fell over dead with no prior sighns of being hit. All it did was pencil a small hole. After that we switched to 130gr swift. Thanks again for the link.

Ya I hear what your saying. I also picked up a box of 250gr accurbond. Deer and antelope aren't very big, and I'm looking for a bullet with rapid expansion. I wish Nosler made a heavy balistic tip. I'm more worried about poor bullet expansion, than over expansion. These are big heavy bullets on very small game.

At extreme ranges (600 to 1000 yards) I have had very good luck with the nosler Ballistic Tip.

Also the 225 Accubond works great in the 338 and expands well on deer size game.

Big bullets don't destroy small game like some people think if you hit them right just the opposite
it does less tissue damage but knocks them on there ***. I used a 416 on a deer and the results
were very good (except for the *** kicking I took).

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.