338 RUM upgrades

Wolf76

Need some help on upgrading a Remington 700 xcr ii in 338 rum with factory plastic stock.
Looking to hunt with it out to 1000 and not looking to spend a billion dollars. I already have a super accurate 300 win, so this is a fun project. Haven't shot the gun yet, so no idea if it's a diamond or fools gold.
BUT it needs a new stock and a brake. I'm wondering how the experts would approach this situation. If I blueprint the action, then a new barrel is mandatory, which means I should probably just chamber it in a 338 edge(because of all the 300 rum brass available). I haven't bought any components for reloading this cartridge yet. You can see the chain reaction of a single decision.
Please share some thoughts.

I don't think it's any different than the suggestion made to Dorothy following the yellow brick road: Start at the beginning.

Buy some factory ammunition to see if it will shoot. Then try to build a better than average reload for accuracy. But remember to use a good scope, base and rings. Tune the trigger.

If for any reason you just can't get a handle on an accuracy node that the rifle likes, buckle up and have the rifle torn down for the receiver and bolt. Blueprint and buy a top tier barrel. Select a great gunsmith, discuss the project then go away and relax until he finishes. Start the process over again.

I like all types and styles of stocks and brakes. If the hunter style pleases you, I suggest the McMillan Remington Hunter with a cheek piece. It's very comfortable for me. Otherwise I use tactical stocks basically. Most of the brakes I put on are from Badger Ordnance with the Thruster being used the most.

Best.

.......I don't think it's any different than the suggestion made to Dorothy following the yellow brick road: Start at the beginning.........

It's not everywhere, but .338 RUM brass is out there. Probably the .300 RUM is more readily available.

Until you know what to expect accuracy wise, you're a little stuck. Starting in pieces marries you a little to the existing action. Decide if that's OK with you.

Things like scopes, rings, bases that carry over to the next project on that action, make sense. If your committed to the action I'd restock it early on. I think Mcmillan (or others) provide, a stiffer base, and a more comfortable handle.

Stock's and barrel's can be 6 months out, dependent on what you want, so not a lot of instant gratification. I think I'm 5 months into the wait on my next McMillan. The last couple were worth it though.

Have fun!

I have had great luck with factory 338 RUM's in the past. Look at Bell and Carlson or HS Precision for a good less expensive stock option. Timney makes a good trigger, or have yours tuned by a good smith. A good base is a must, along with a good scope and rings. I also had great luck with a 250gr Accubond and a load of IMR 4831. I have had 3 different factory rifles shoot this load under .75 MOA I would put a brake on it if you don't like recoil, Holland makes a good one for not much money. Just my 2 cents.
Wyatt

Firstly, I NEVER shoot the donor anymore. Burnt once, cry once.

My 338 Edge started life as a Rem 700 Sendero in 300RUM, I had the action blueprinted, a Kreiger 32" 1:10" blank finished at 31", McMillan A5 stock.
The brake was a custom made one here, it could have worked a bit better but was OK.
At the time, we couldn't get Wyatt's boxes, so mine was a single shot, but I could just get a round in the mag box and slip one in the chamber and slide the bolt over it, it did mark the brass however.

As to stocks, I find they are totally a personal preference, as in you may like the new Rem 700 LR stock, I don't, I like the old HS Precision Sendero II stock with the palm swell and beavertail forend. I'd swap the LR for the Sendero in a heartbeat.

Cheers.
:)

Need some help on upgrading a Remington 700 xcr ii in 338 rum with factory plastic stock.
Looking to hunt with it out to 1000 and not looking to spend a billion dollars. I already have a super accurate 300 win, so this is a fun project. Haven't shot the gun yet, so no idea if it's a diamond or fools gold.
BUT it needs a new stock and a brake. I'm wondering how the experts would approach this situation. If I blueprint the action, then a new barrel is mandatory, which means I should probably just chamber it in a 338 edge(because of all the 300 rum brass available). I haven't bought any components for reloading this cartridge yet. You can see the chain reaction of a single decision.
Please share some thoughts.

There are lots of options but for the sake of economy and practicality I would look first for a good laminate stock and failing that H-S Precision or B&C. If you have the budget and want to go up a bit in class McMillan is awfully tough to beat.

Put it in a good stock and have a good/professional pillar bedding job done along with properly floating it and it may save you a tremendous amount of money vs going the new barrel and cambering route.

If you do, you may well find that it is all you need accuracy wise with some good load workup.

Your only problem is going to be finding brass and there's next to no factory ammo left out there for the 375 Rum so whatever brass and ammo you come across snatch it up quick and try to get at least 200 rounds of brass built up as soon as you can along with getting set up to load for it.

Firstly, I NEVER shoot the donor anymore. Burnt once, cry once.

My 338 Edge started life as a Rem 700 Sendero in 300RUM, I had the action blueprinted, a Kreiger 32" 1:10" blank finished at 31", McMillan A5 stock.
The brake was a custom made one here, it could have worked a bit better but was OK.
At the time, we couldn't get Wyatt's boxes, so mine was a single shot, but I could just get a round in the mag box and slip one in the chamber and slide the bolt over it, it did mark the brass however.

As to stocks, I find they are totally a personal preference, as in you may like the new Rem 700 LR stock, I don't, I like the old HS Precision Sendero II stock with the palm swell and beavertail forend. I'd swap the LR for the Sendero in a heartbeat.

Cheers.
:)

It's still really hard to beat the M40 stock pattern for a practical carry/hunting rifle. All of the stocks I really enjoy are M40's or slightly modified clones of it. Just a great, well balanced and designed all position stock.

Love the ideas.
Going to get a BC m40 stock and do a bed job. Less than $300 and has a 14" lop. Will do a bedding job as well.
Still tempted to have a Smith run a chamber reamer 90 thousandths deeper due all the 300 rum brass available.
Would you guys suggest adding a Wyatt's box extender?
Need to have the barrel threaded also.

If you are gonna leave the factory barrel (26" I believe) on it then I wouldn't punch the chamber out to the Edge.
I would definitely start with some good brass, ADG makes it. I would also run a good high BC bullet, you already have a good 1,000 yard capable rifle with the .300 so make the most of the .338 or you are doing yourself an injustice.
My RUM with a 26" barrel would hang with my Edge and a 30". Both would push a 300 grainer @ 2800 (+/-). The Edge I think had a somewhat slowish barrel and the newer powders (like RL-33 & 8133) gave the RUM that little extra push to even the playing field.
Now theoretically the Edge with a longer barrel should out run the standard UltraMag. With most I believe it will as it has greater case capacity. With the shorter barrel I think you'd be waisting the potential of the Edge. If (or when) you rebarrel, I say go for it.

Last edited:
I agree with Muley Madness !
I picked up a Delux model 338 Rum last summer . Just love it . Dropped in a timney just put a b & c m 40 on to try .
Its topped with a 20 moa tail mk4 34 mm rings a Burris XTR ii 5 x 25 x 50 with a radial brake . It seems to just love 285 eld-m over 91.5 grains of H -1000 cci mag 250 primers . Its headed in for a wyatt box next week . My load is 3.8 plus
Its single feed but it shoots amazing ! 1 / 2" group at 100.
I got sick and havent shot it over a crony yet . I'm clear to shoot the end of August .
Just had Open Heart Surgery.
I'm itching for long heavy barreled shooter in the Rum !!

Get a b&c or hs Precision and don't look back. I really like chassis guns for shooting long range but not for hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.