338 Rum to the Max !

I'm not going to lie to you guys ..the long barrels I have tested are great on the bench and give you better results in speed ..but Not to friendly hiking up the Mountain in the timber !
FYI !!
Not to bad in the Open Country !
30" barrel on this bad boy !

Rum Man

Attachments

• 20191031_113222.jpg
    20191031_113222.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 70
My view of +P throating is two-fold:

1. Reduced chamber pressure. The maxed pressure load prior to the +P throating process will have less pressure; that is an advantage for me.

2. Opportunity for increased velocity. Because +P throating relieves some of the chamber pressure, the end-user can increase the velocity if powder capacity allows it.
Any thoughts on the reduced barrel life?
I have no idea what expect in that regard so some sort of guidance would be helpful.

I'm thinking a 30" barrel would greatly benefit from +P?

Well I'm thinking before i touch that barrel I'm going to test what powders i have ..maybe one of them will Shine with the 300 gr bergers .
This is a Defiance prefit so I can remove it needed .
Rl-26
Rl-33
Nv568
Nv570
RamShot LRT
Retumbo

THE RL-26 produced 3000 ft.per.sec in my 24" barrel Rum with 250gr bergers.
H-1000 has been tryed already In all my 338's .

Any thoughts ??

Rum Man
Paul, I have some 869, if you'd like to try that and get out this way again this summer.

Paul, I have some 869, if you'd like to try that and get out this way again this summer.
I forgot to put that on my list . I have some ! Thank you though !
Not sure of our schedule of heading out west yet . We need to see the Kids and Grandkids Soon !
Rum Man

Well I'm going to bow out for now guys .
Wife told me we are headded up to Perchville in Tawas for some Fun !
You see me wearing my favorite hat say hello !

Rum Man

Attachments

• 0228000719.jpg
    0228000719.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 50
Cory,

You're in good hands/company in your quest for your RUM. Good luck, and keep us posted on your build.

Ed
Ed. Yeah the information a guy can get on here can save a lot of leg work/load development. Barrel should be here around the end of February. Then my friend will chamber it. I'll try to find dies soon. Not sure what's up here though. Bullets will be a problem to I'm sure. I'll probably rent a reamer out of the US. Project is moving forward. But with my work I get busy in spring, so not sure how much time I'll have to shoot.

I'm looking for info and or experiences with taking the 338 Rum to its max ability.

Should I get a throat reamer ?
Should I sent the barrel out to Shawn Carlock to get the +P treatment?
Is there a special reamer out there ?
It's a standard cut chamber Rum right now.

Looking for any advice or info !

I have Adg brass, lots of different powders to test /try and going to use the 300 gr bergers as my bullet of choice .

This set up will be my hunting Rig to way out there ! Maybe 1500 yards ??

Defiance Tenacity, prefit Proof 1/9.4 twist 26" barrel . This Rifle will have 125 min. Of Elevation available when it's done!
I dont care about oal !
This will be Single fed !
I already know about the 338 Edge is a touch better so we can let that go for now.

Thanks for all your help !

Rum Man
Go with Carlock for sure. Had him do a 300 Terminator for me

To the +p throats wearing out faster. I shoot bore rider throats in all my 1000 yard bench guns and haven't seen any reduction in barrel life/ erosion. I use them in 6mm and 6.5 and 7mm. Now i dont run absolute max loads because I want my brass to live another day. I have a 338 rum but it has a standard throat. I don't really max it out either. I do try to get into the fastest accuracy node with my rifles but I wont push them over to get to the next node. I think any rifle using max loads or above eat barrels faster regardless of the type throat you run. I don't consider a 338 rum to be over bore so I would think it would have pretty good barrel life. I know my shoulder wont let me find out how long mine last.
Shep

To the +p throats wearing out faster. I shoot bore rider throats in all my 1000 yard bench guns and haven't seen any reduction in barrel life/ erosion. I use them in 6mm and 6.5 and 7mm. Now i dont run absolute max loads because I want my brass to live another day. I have a 338 rum but it has a standard throat. I don't really max it out either. I do try to get into the fastest accuracy node with my rifles but I wont push them over to get to the next node. I think any rifle using max loads or above eat barrels faster regardless of the type throat you run. I don't consider a 338 rum to be over bore so I would think it would have pretty good barrel life. I know my shoulder wont let me find out how long mine last.
Shep
Thank you