338 RUM Scope

Doubie AA

I like the cost and performance of the LEUPOLD vx3 4.5x14x50
long range 30mm tube with side focus.Thats what I have on my 338RUM and have had no problems.

Also look at the Burris with posi lock. these scopes are very tough. I dont use muzzle break's on any of my rifles
(no particular reason just dont like them) The nastiest
recoiling thing I have is a pistol that required 4 scope
rings (It kept shearing off the 2 and 3 ring type mounts)
and went through 3 different scopes before placing a
Burris on it.An after 4to500 rounds with 58.7 ftlbs
of recoil it still survives.I did say nasty didin't I. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

So if cost is an issue look at these.

Just an opinion
J E CUSTOM

[ QUOTE ]
Is that the same for sound moderators?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure but I'd bet it is. It reduces the recoil by the same mechanism. Doesn't it??

Thanks for the reply JE. While cost is always a concern, it's not really the issue. I have a Schmidt and Bender Zenith 3x12x50 on a 7STW and a 3x12x56 Zeiss Diavari on a 300 Weatherby. In low light these scopes are in another class (especially the Zenith), but I'm not sure they're a necessary, and not a luxury.

I have several Leupold scopes, mostly 3.5x10x40, and they have always performed well. I recently put a 3.5x10x44 Conquest on a 300 Win and a 7wsm, and to my eyes anyway, they seem brighter than the Leupold.

I just ordered the 338 RUM and have not received it yet. I'm not sure of the recoil but I just want to make sure the scope I purchase is able to survive. I will take your advice and look at the Leupold, maybe the 50mm will make a difference. Thanks again,

I have a 700LSS 338 RUM with a Leupold VXIII 2.5x8 scope w/ M1 dials. I do not have a brake and have had no problems with this set up.

JD338

You guys are tougher then me, my hats off to ya! Those 338 RUMS seem to kick a lot harder then my 300 RUM did. I think most of it has to do with the synthetic stock on the 338 RUM I shot vs the laminated I had on my 300 RUM. Anyways, they both kick. I just didn't want a brake at first, so went with the 300 RUM.

I had 2 different Leupolds on my 300 RUM and they held up just fine. THe first scope was a vx2, 6-18x40. It worked great, I just wanted a MK4. So I got a 4.5-14x50 LR/T M1 and it was a great scope as well. I later traded my 300 RUM for a 7 RM that has a brake now. I traded my MK4, for a vx3 LR 6.5-20x50 30mm, SF, Fine duplex. This scope is great as well. I like 18-20x for longer range shooting. 14x with the regular duplex takes up to much of the target for me. All in all, the leupolds have never let me down. I shot the barrel out on my 300 RUM so the Leupold had about 1200rounds on it.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the reply JE. While cost is always a concern, it's not really the issue. I have a Schmidt and Bender Zenith 3x12x50 on a 7STW and a 3x12x56 Zeiss Diavari on a 300 Weatherby. In low light these scopes are in another class (especially the Zenith), but I'm not sure they're a necessary, and not a luxury.

I have several Leupold scopes, mostly 3.5x10x40, and they have always performed well. I recently put a 3.5x10x44 Conquest on a 300 Win and a 7wsm, and to my eyes anyway, they seem brighter than the Leupold.

I just ordered the 338 RUM and have not received it yet. I'm not sure of the recoil but I just want to make sure the scope I purchase is able to survive. I will take your advice and look at the Leupold, maybe the 50mm will make a difference. Thanks again,

[/ QUOTE ]

Since cost is not an issue,then the Nightforce scopes are the way to go,turret adjustments are precise and accurate as well as adjust in MOA's.. The optics are awsome and they are extremely rugged. I saw a 3.5X15X50 that had a bullet hole from an AK-47 completely through the tube just in front of the power selector and the solider put tape over the holes and used the scope for 3 more days as it still functioned perfectly.
Nightforce certainly deserve strong consideration..........
And B J Bailey sells them...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I've had two .340Wby's which are simular to the .338rum. I've had a Swarovski A Line 4-12x50, Bushnell 4200 4-16x50, and an IOR 3-18x42 Tactical scope. They've all held up fine. They only problem I had was with the Leupold standard scope mounts on the bushnell. That was my fault because I used standard not dual dovetails.

For my lightweight (5.5 lb) .340wby now I'll be placing either a Zeiss or a Leupold in order to save weight.

I have a 338RUM, scoped with a Zeiss Conquest 3,5-10x44, and that scope holds up great. I have used it on that rifle for some years now, and have fired several houndreds of shots, and no problem.

I used a Zeiss 4x14x 44 Conquest on a AR50, 50 bmg for about 100 rounds or so and it did fine. It's now on a very accurate ar15 and shows no sign of damage.

I replaced it with a Leupold varx III 6.5x20. That one didn't last too long before I had to send it off for repairs. Got it back, put it back on my 50 and it seems to be ok. Not sure though. I get some weird flyer's sometimes.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.