338 Rum. or Edge

There is not a lot of difference in velocity between all the big 338's. I have chronographed most all the popular ones quite a bit. Other criteria generally is how a guy chooses one over the other. Think about it logically. There is about 250 fps difference between the 340 wby on the low end and the 338-378 wby on the high end. All the others fall between these except the full length improved 338-416 rigby case. With about 20 grains more powder the 338-378 wby is on average about 150 fps faster than the 338-300 ultramag or edge. Now, with that 100 fps difference remaining is the 338 ultramag closer to the 338-300, or edge, or closer to the 340 wby? Now consider that individual rifles or barrels can be 100 fps faster or slower than another in the same chambering. When considering that it is easy to see just how close all of these really are. There are no majic bullets. Any big 338 will take game beyond the range most guys can make the shot. My 340 wby has taken elk at over 1000 yards which could easily challenge most hunters. Both the 338 ultramag and the 338-300 ultramag are extremely accurate chamberings and either will do the same thing as the other and duplicate the exact same shots. So take your pick.

yeah weatherby will be faster but at the cost of weatherby if you reload i would go edge if not its a toss up. 338 rum rounds are exspensive all weatherybys are but if reload they kinda equal out just difference in brass really witch weatherby brass is pricy so is lapua 300 rum but i use rem 300 its not lapua brass but it works for my needs another consideration is if you travel alot the risk of airlines lossing ammo and being able to find ammo localy weathery and 338 rem are popular enough to find not going to find a wildcat

There is not a lot of difference in velocity between all the big 338's. I have chronographed most all the popular ones quite a bit. Other criteria generally is how a guy chooses one over the other. Think about it logically. There is about 250 fps difference between the 340 wby on the low end and the 338-378 wby on the high end. All the others fall between these except the full length improved 338-416 rigby case. With about 20 grains more powder the 338-378 wby is on average about 150 fps faster than the 338-300 ultramag or edge. Now, with that 100 fps difference remaining is the 338 ultramag closer to the 338-300, or edge, or closer to the 340 wby? Now consider that individual rifles or barrels can be 100 fps faster or slower than another in the same chambering. When considering that it is easy to see just how close all of these really are. There are no majic bullets. Any big 338 will take game beyond the range most guys can make the shot. My 340 wby has taken elk at over 1000 yards which could easily challenge most hunters. Both the 338 ultramag and the 338-300 ultramag are extremely accurate chamberings and either will do the same thing as the other and duplicate the exact same shots. So take your pick.

+1

Well said LTLR !!!!!!!

J E CUSTOM

I would like to thank everyone for there replies. Im going with the edge, i just have something about wildcats. I even made the comment to some idiots in my little town that im not afraid of anyone stealing any of my guns because the average guy would not know what they are. I just sent Travis Redell a deposit he can turn me out one as soon as he gets the barrel. He was highly reccomended by a member here and very nice to work with. One question i had was, think it will shoot well? His reply was , you wont see it until it does. Good answer. He uses Broughton barrels, speaking with them very nice folks to deasl with. My components:
Rem 700 trued
Broughton 9.3 twist fluted
DE Brake
H&S Prescision Stock
Wyatt ex. box
Pic. rail
Nf uni-mount w- cosine
NF 5.5-22 NPR-1
IN need of a pocket PDA any help from anyone?
Mike

Hi Mike,

I am using a Recon loaded with NF software. This has worked well for me. I have limited LR abilities. Good Shooting

Peashooter
I would like a recon but they run around 1k seen one on ebay for 750.00 and the guy wouldnt budge. Anything else that wouyld work good? How about a i phone? Thats all i want it for is the software.
Mike

If your Broughton barrel is anything like mine, you will be very happy.
I spoke witrh a guy name Tim there today and i was so impressed. Weight is my issue i want to be able to carry this gun around but still have a stiff gun. I know its an double edge sword. Anyway i was told dont even look at the tapers listed they was going to make a taer for me. Thats imressing in todays world, i go the extra mile for my customers and really like whwn it comes back home.
mike

jmden, about the same as the 338-378 but can be maybe 50 fps faster. You can get just a little more powder in there. The 378 case is basically a blown out 416 with a belt. I just couldn't legitimately say it fit between the others.

Mike33, Good luck with your choice. I am sure it will be a shooter.

The Edge is a 300 Rem Ulta mag knecked out to 338. This gives you about 20% more powder than the standard 338 RUM. If you check the cartridges side by side the 300 RUM is alot taller than the 338 RUM.
Personaly I use a 300 RUM with the 210 grn Berger VLD, 91 grns of H1000 and shot an elk this last fall at 892yds.

Rifle: 300RUM Rem mdl 700 stainles, 26" brl, muzzle brake, laminated stock, Kniteforce 3.5x15 NXS/NPR1.
I took Shon Carlocks long range shooting class this summer, and it really paid off. (Defensive Edge.com) the last target was a coyette at 1238yds,
I shot the course with 71 rounds, the rest of the class {5} used over 125rnds each to do the same. 2 338 Edges, 1 338 Lapua, 1 308, and my off the shelf
300 RUM 700.

Go for what ever you want, this is what I did and didnt spend the big bucks to do it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.