338 rum is rockin !

splattermatic

here's a few pics of my 338 rum.
nothing fancy, just a plain ole working gun. weighs 9.2 lbs. without sling or ammo in her belly.
my recently past machinist friend put her together for me.
remmy 700 magnum action, bleprinted.
douglass s.s. barrel with oversized lug.
dual dovetail baes and rings, held on by 8-40 screws.
and a refinished stock with an extra recoil pin thru the lug area.
load is 95.0 grains of reldr 25 under a 250 sierra gameking, at 3,052 fps 12 feet from the muzzle.
338rum1stgroup1-1.jpg

300 meter plate.
338rum308yards.jpg

400 meter plate 2 shots. the copper marks you see are from my 280ai with 140 ttsx's.
338rum425yards.jpg

500 meters.
338rum549yards.jpg

no 600, but here's at 700 yards.
338rum708yards.jpg

and last the furthest we can go on this range. 800 yards ,2 shots under 5 inches !
338rum800yards.jpg

i think i have a shooter ! wind was blowing and i really didn't try to dope the gusting wind, was just working on confirming the clicks, so i could order a turret from kenton industries.

so wadda ya'll think ? is she gonna work ??

How loud is the gun with that brake on it? How is the recoil? I just finished (for the most part) a 338 Edge that weighs in at 15 pounds 3 ounces and it feels pretty good on the shoulder without a brake. I didn't want a brake because of the noise but it's weight makes it MUCH less practical as a hunting rifle.

i am not recoil sensative, so it doesn't bother me, but it is stout even with the brake.
as we all know, brakes are loud. this one is no exception. it is only vented to the sides.
guys next door at the 100 yard range came over to see what was making all the noise.

hope this helps.
my friend has a 338 lm, that weighs about 17 pounds, and it's brutal without a brake.

Well I haven't shot my Edge wit 300s yet but with 250 SMKs and 98gr of H1000 the recoil was a comfortable shove. It was far from what I would call brutal. I guess the 300s would be a bit different. I guess I'll find out if I ever get my hands on any.

Being a real pansy regarding recoil, or more accurately the ol' half moon above the eye........ a 10.5# 338 RUM Rem 700 Sporter with a DE brake only needs one more thing to make it nearly infallible. That is a grind to fit Limbsaver recoil pad.

The secret is to grind to fit only at the butt junction while letting the rear of the pad remain the extra large original size.

I shoot the 300s exclusively and always from the prone position. Usually wearing a tee shirt. She's good for all afternoon say 25 shots and no after affects. I also use all the eye relief available.

The 300 # 2800+ is a complete different (better) experience than the 225 at 3000 or so or the 250 souped up.

I fired the thing with out a brake when it was a 338 Win Mag shooting souped up 250s and I can promise you I will never to THAT again.:cool:

splattermatic,
Are you seeing any pressure signs with that load ?
Quickload puts your load at 76,338psi at a COAL of 3.60. That is with the bullet not touching the lands. If you have the 250gr SMK on the lands your pressures are almost 90,000psi.
Be careful.

i have 0.070 jump at mag length.
quick load sucks.
alliants web site has the 95 grains as a max load published.

no flat primers, no pressure, no sticky bolt.
thought about up'n it a bit and seein what i can get outta her....

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts